Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two eggs per cell??  (Read 1547 times)

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
Two eggs per cell??
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »
Weird.

I started a nuc with a couple of queen cells and they hatched, two weeks ago or more.  Now I have a queen that has been in the hive and just a couple of days ago eggs started appearing.  Now I have larva, none capped and eggs.  The queen was observed today and looked fine.

However the eggs in the cell have two or more eggs (sometimes four).  What is going on??

Do I have a laying worker and Queen co-existing?  What should I do if this is the case?
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Two eggs per cell??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:50 pm »
Your new queen is practicing....she will perfect it within a week.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »
Thanks Scott... I never seen this before.

Also, I've been losing a lot of queens in my nucs?  I think the birds are eating them when they go to mate.  of 4 nucs and observing the queens when they hatched only one exists today....they keep disappearing.  Does this happen to you alot?
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »
happens to me.  swallows.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »
Happening to us a lot more this season too. Catbirds are in my sights as the problem here.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 11:15:48 pm »
Happens a lot when the hive is disturbed the day she emerges or within a week afterward.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:03:25 am »
Yep, young queen getting the hang of things. I checked location as well, a couple dead center bottom don't worry me as much as a couple on the side two more over there and a few more scattered around. To me multiples all over the place are the tell tale of a laying worker. Neatly placed, even multiples, are the work of a queen.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com