does any one work with a top bar hive .

No - I do not use top bar haves
7 (70%)
I use BOTH
2 (20%)
Yes - I do use top bar hives
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: new TBH beekeeper  (Read 4125 times)

Offline jillr0

• New Bee
new TBH beekeeper
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:22 am »
hi this will be my first year with a TBH.i live in upstate ny and dont know of any one who i could have help me.i also would like to catch my own swarm of bees an i am a little scared i wont find any and then it will be to late to buy any.does it matter if i find a beekeeper who has a longsworth hive to help me.i know of a few.and  they have not met me yet how do i go about asking them if they would take me under their wing.ps i have not met any one who has bees this is something brand new for me.thanks jill

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: new TBH beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:14:59 pm »
There should be somebody on one of the sites that would help out if you need some.  There are lots of helpful people.  As far as the TBH...beekeeping is all the same whether langstroth or TBH, but there are some nuances that a standard langstroth might not be able to help out with.

Maybe find the local beekeeping club, there are usually people there that are willing to help out (although most will probably be old guys who might not grasp the concept of TBHs).

As far as collecting swarms...You might be well served to call some of the smaller exterminators in your area to call you if you get swarms.  I called all my local fire departments, signed up my phone# on several websites, and called about 4 exterminators, and I only got calls from one exterminators, and he called me about 6 times (of which I could only get 3 (2 swarms, 1 hive in wall).

-rick
Rick

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:38:44 pm »
i live in upstate ny

Where abouts?  I have both Langstroth and TBHs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:55:45 pm »
Welcome aboard . We have several members who have TBH, KTBH, and standard hives. I am going to build a KTBH later this year. And then use that knowledge to teach other members of the PBC beekeepers.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline jillr0

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:21:14 pm »
i live in oswgo ny.45 min from syracuse.robo witch hive do you like best tbh or longswoth.and do you have a problem with tbh comb falling .do the tbh bees seem more friendy.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:50:46 am »
Quote from: jillr0
robo witch hive do you like best tbh or longswoth.
I have mostly Langstroth hives but have been playing with a few TBH the last few years. I still prefer the Langstroth as they seem to produce more and require less attention. I have 4 TBH,  2 wooden and 2 barrel.

and do you have a problem with tbh comb falling
The only comb problem I have had was when moving a TBH to a new loaction. The top bars fell into the hive during transportation.  The key is to always keep the frames vertical (never roll them onto the horizontal when manipulating them).  Also be aware of the temperature when working with them as extreme heat makes them more prone to failure.  The best thing to do is build a rack to hold a frame for inspection.

.do the tbh bees seem more friendy.
No,  in fact,  one of the TBH was my most aggressive last year.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 03:50:48 pm »
I had a TBH and, I'll have to disagree with Robo on this one, it was my gentlest hive.  I captures a swarm (yes, in africanized territory) and hived it in the KTBH. IT was by far, easier to work than all the other langstroth hives.  Despite being in full sun for half the day, I never had a single comb collapse.  My problem later became the screened bottom as, being a weakpoint, some predator/s managed to rip through it and tear apart the colony on December 23rd.  One notable feature is that, it takes me about three to four times longer to fully work and inspect a top bar hive.  I'm in the process of repairing/rebuilding it now and, hope to have it back up by this summer.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 04:00:45 pm »
I had a TBH and, I'll have to disagree with Robo on this one, it was my gentlest hive.

No need to disagree, I was just sharing my experience.   I wasn't trying to say that TBH makes them meaner.  My point was that TBH ain't the cure all to having gentle bees.  Just like Langstroth,  they can house gentle or agressive bees equally well ;)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 04:57:52 pm »
OK sorry.  I must have misinterprited that.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 10:11:36 am »
Sorry, I messed up the poll tally trying to add BOTH to it - ugh. Hopefully anyone still following the post will revote (I have edit vote option open) sorry again  :oops:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything