Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any one ever used AdvanTech for hive bodies?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Any one ever used AdvanTech for hive bodies?
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:21:27 am »
Being in the building business, we generate some scrap AdvanTech flooring pieces. This stuff is great. water resistant, flat, and inexpensive compared to 3/4" plywood. On the down side, it is heavy. Unpainted, this stuff holds up well to the elements, painted, it would last forever. I made a couple of bottom boards out of it once, they are holding up well. After reading the MSDS sheet, I don't see any environmental issues. I am attaching a link to the MSDS, a second opinion would be welcome.

http://huberwood.com/media/pdf/MSDS/AdvanTech%20MSDS.pdf

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Any one ever used AdvanTech for hive bodies?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:40:13 pm »
Steve,

I checked out the manufacturer's website ( www.huberwood.com) and looked up the FAQs section.
The wood is made of Wood dust, Resin and Wax under heat and high pressures, I am concerned about the resin though, there are no details on it anywhere. Looks useful  :-D

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Re: Any one ever used AdvanTech for hive bodies?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »
According to the manufacturer of Advantek it weighs about 3# per square foot (100# per panel of 7/8). Southern Yellow Pine weights about 1# per square foot so you're looking at three times the weight. It's good tough stuff, I've used it as platforms for my deerstands and painted it lasts "forever". (Burns really nice, too!)

J-