Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Here is my set up.  (Read 8978 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:32 am »
Sorry, seems to bee too shaded place for bees.

Otherwise seems good.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Here is my set up.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 03:19:56 am »
Quote from: Finsky
Sorry, seems to bee too shaded place for bees.

Otherwise seems good.

I agree with finsky, do they get any sun shine there, if you have a field around there, I would put them on it. besides that, nice set-up.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 03:26:11 am »
Yeah, but I live in a residential neighborhood and it's the only place it can go without freaking the neighbors out. It was here or no place so I'm hoping for the best. It may work out because the sun stopped hitting the hive a week ago and will start hitting it again in the fall once the leafs drop.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Here is my set up.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:39:45 am »
leadpipe, is that your land? if so cut a few tree's. I have never seen hives in tree's like yours but have heard that all the shade can cause moisture to build up causing chalkboard and other stuff, the more experienced guy's can descibe the disadvantages of keeping bee's in shade all day better, I fairly new myself but my hives only get shade late in the evening. I have heard to many times not to keep bee's in the shade. just my oppinion.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:51:03 am »
Quote from: LEAD PIPE
the sun stopped hitting the hive a week ago and will start hitting it again in the fall once the leafs drop.

Oh no. More than bad. Hope will not help you!

Also God helps only those who helps them selves :?

You can take lower branches and bushes  away, not whole trees.

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 04:03:17 am »
Please explain why is this so bad? The sun stopped hitting the hive just as the weather started to worm up. It’s in the 70's now and will soon be in the 90's. The hive will be shaded during the hot summer and back out in the sun for the fall & winter.  The hive is only 1 month old and I have capped honey on the top of 3 frames. They seem to be doing okay?

I started this hive because my son has allergies so bad that he lost some of his hearing and I heard that honey made from where I live may help him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/LEADPIPE/DSCN0004.jpg

Here he is releasing his first striper.

Thanks for the help.

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 04:07:54 am »
I didn't expect anyone to reply until later, why are you guys still awake?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 04:35:24 am »
I didn't expect anyone to reply until later, why are you guys still awake?

It is 10:33 morning in Finland.

Shadow is bad, because Australian report that shadow is bad.  It is hot place?

Sun activates bees and they are girls of sun.

Anonymous

Here is my set up.
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:38:04 am »
Please explain why is this so bad? ...

Don't take offense.  Sometimes the "old guys" can sound a little negative.   :roll: But they all mean really well.

Folks in our club mostly keep their bees in the sun.  Keeps them plenty warm and dry and when winter hits, the additional exposure will help greatly.  I've seen pics in Bee Culture of colonies under trees.  Some say they do just fine.

My only suggestion, novice that I am, would be to make sure there's plenty of open space around the hives to promote good air flow.  Keep the weeds down.  The hive is facing downhill, so that's good since in the evenings and at night, cold air flows down hill and won't cause a breeze into the front entrance in winter.  But are they also facing South?

Good luck!   8)

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 09:48:10 am »
I may be going against the grain here..... and I'm no expert..... but I don't see what's so bad about that spot. Yes, the risk is higher for cold moist weather problems. And yes, the bees produce more with more sunlight. But there are bees that naturally choose places in the woods.

I'm curious about something though. Where is this in relation to your house? Walking distance atleast? Just thinking about the winter time and the possibility of lots of snow burying the hive. That's what I envision..... but I don't really have any idea what it's like were you are.

Beth

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 09:50:19 am »
Quote from: John G
Please explain why is this so bad? ...

Don't take offense.  Sometimes the "old guys" can sound a little negative.   :roll: But they all mean really well.

I have kept bees many times in shadow. When honey yield drop to half, it is bad . Nothing to do with negative, just bad :shock:

Many are satysfied with 40 lbs per hive, but to it is bad. 100-120 lbs is normal. 180 lbs id good.  220 lbs is REALLY BAD.   I read Bad Beekeeping book.

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 02:22:17 pm »
If all were talking is honey, all I need is 5 lbs and I will have all I need. My main purpose is to help with my sons allergies.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
Here is my set up.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 03:00:19 pm »
I read in afew differant forums that they need the morning sun
to get up and going , it warms the hive and the entrance!!!!!
  it can be 80 deg in the sun were I live but 45-50 deg close to
the ground in the woods ,
    at 50 deg some bees dont even want to look outside
let alone work.

and I don't think Finsky was being negetive at all.
   he just cant talk amereican like we can. :lol:

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:15 pm »
I didn't think he was negitive, I want the truth.

Beth, My hive is about 30' into the woods from my back yard. In this picture you can make out the hive and see the end of my yard. The hive is about 40 yards away from my back door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/LEADPIPE/DSCN0036.jpg

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 03:09:20 pm »
Think about it folks, I bet if a wild swarm set up shop in one of those tree trucks we wouldn't be out there telling them to move.  I totally get where Finsky is coming from - in terms of beeKEEPING and honey production, not an ideal spot, but if you're happy with your spot, and the bees are happy then everybody's happy!  :D  :D

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 03:20:06 pm »
Beekeeping for Dummies, page 49;

"Putting the hive in dappling sunlight. Ideally, avoiding full sun, because the warmth os the sum requires the colony to work hard to regulate the hive's temperature in the summer. By contrast, you also want to avoid deep, dark shade, because it can make the hive damp and the colony listless."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now my dark hives are in the full sun, on open bottoms. We had 105F temps the other day and there was no problem with the heat for them.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Here is my set up.
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 04:12:10 pm »
>"Putting the hive in dappling sunlight. Ideally, avoiding full sun, because the warmth os the sum requires the colony to work hard to regulate the hive's temperature in the summer."

I started with that theory, but in the end I decided the ones in full sun did better, produced better, wintered better and built up in the spring better.

>" By contrast, you also want to avoid deep, dark shade, because it can make the hive damp and the colony listless."

And it makes them MUCH nicer to work on a hot day.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Here is my set up.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 04:20:28 pm »
People, people it is this or nothing .We all agree its not the best but I only have 2 conserns, Will the bees die and will I get 5lbs of honey? :wink:

Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Here is my set up.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 05:28:17 pm »
>Will the bees die

Possibly. But not from being in the shade.  Most wild hives are in the middle of the woods in a hollow tree and most of them have done well for thousands, if not millions of years.

> and will I get 5lbs of honey?

More than likely.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything