Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: success of natural and organic methods?  (Read 16427 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: success of natural and organic methods?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 09:22:03 am »
True, but I don't intend to treat tracheal mites with grease patties the first year... and even in the second year and going forward, they'll be used only in conjunction with the late fall menthol treatment, and thus I won't likely use them continuously, perhaps only a few months a year.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 09:42:32 am »
True, but I don't intend to treat tracheal mites with grease patties the first year... and even in the second year and going forward, they'll be used only in conjunction with the late fall menthol treatment, and thus I won't likely use them continuously, perhaps only a few months a year.

Well if your bees make it thru the first year without treatment, than chances are they are resistant, so why treat at all after that.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:32 am »
Because I will still be doing the once a year treatment with menthol in the late fall, so they won't go a year without treatment of some kind, so I won't really know, and don't necessarily want to find out (the hard way), as bees are kinda expensive now.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:21 am »
Gotcha.

But now we're off topic and out of natural and organic beekeeping methods
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:20:19 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:42 am »
Yup, except that I plan on implementing both natural and organic methods as well as the more traditional non-organic methods to treat for both types of mites, and other problems.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:11 am »
Yup, except that I plan on implementing both natural and organic methods as well as the more traditional non-organic methods to treat for both types of mites, and other problems.

My concept of "natural" includes leaving the bees alone as much as possible, being aware of potential problems and solutions, and monitoring and treating only for life-threatening situations with minimal intervention. Having a multi-year pre-defined schedule for fantasy bees sounds neither natural or realistic  ;)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:01 pm »
My concept of "natural" includes leaving the bees alone as much as possible, being aware of potential problems and solutions, and monitoring and treating only for life-threatening situations with minimal intervention. Having a multi-year pre-defined schedule for fantasy bees sounds neither natural or realistic  ;)

Ouch.  Is there a doctor in the house?  One that has ER experience that can remove this knife from my back?   ;)

I call it planning for success.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it... for now.   :-D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:49:00 pm by SgtMaj »