Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building comb in all the wrong places?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
Building comb in all the wrong places?
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:59:02 pm »
One of my hives seems to want to keep building comb between the top inner cover and the top of the frames.  I've scraped it off before, but they keep putting it back!  They do have some empty frames to build in.  Is there some class I could send these bees to so they can learn to build comb in the proper area?  lol

Any suggestions are welcome!

Rich, the newbee :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Building comb in all the wrong places?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
Is it a little burr comb, or on the top of every frame?    A little burr is just ladders for the bees to get up on top of the inner cover. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:53 pm »
are you using foundation?  if so, they probably want to build some drone comb and that's where they are doing it.  instead of removing it, try leaving it.  as long as it's not getting in the way of your inspections it's not hurting anything.  just cut what is in your way.

this way they get what they want and they are not wasting resources rebuilding what you remove.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »
Mine do that too I don't worry about it, it doesn't bother me. I scrape it off if theres to much. I don't think any hive is picture perfect :)
Lori

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
Rich if it isn't bothering any thing like getting the boxs back together or top on etc. I'd just leave it alone.

Joe

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:28:25 am »
Thanks for the input.  (Yes, I have wax foundation)  I was just feeling a bit guilty destroying comb the girls work so hard at building!  I'll be adding another deep this coming weekend, so may need to remove some of the comb to insure it all fits properly!  Otherwise, I'll just let them do what they do!

Thanks again, Rich

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:15 am »
 Do you have your inter cover with the rim up to give the proper bee space.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:34 am »
If this is a drone comb issue, you could add one foundationless frame and let them have at it.  The nice thing about having one frame of all drone is that you can pop it in the freezer as a mite trap.  Or just leave it alone as a substitute for drawing on your inner cover.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline rubeehaven2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
The inner cover seems to have equal amount of space no matter which side I put up.  I'd say between 1-1 1/2 inch space from top of frames to bottom of inner cover.  The bees seem happy, so who am I to complain!

I have to find out what you mean about the mite trap thing and feezing drone comb.  That one is new to me.  (but, most things are at this stage!)

Thanks, Rich

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
Most factory made intercovers have a flat side and a side with a 3/8 inch lip that should be on top for a dead air space. If it is backwards it will be to wide a bee space and cause burr comb problems much of the time.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »
  An inner cover with an inch of space?  Something isn't right here.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:27 am »
I am using a screened inner cover year round and I haven't had an issue with burr comb. I do get some comb from time to time between supers. It breaks when I pull out frames but I just leave it. I have a frame rest so the burr comb doesn't get squished by setting the frame on the ground. I am foundationless, if that makes any difference to anyone.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

anything