Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are all wasps and hornets a threat to bees?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Are all wasps and hornets a threat to bees?
« on: August 12, 2005, 05:17:57 pm »
This is the first wasp or hornet I've seen in about a week and it is digging a hole right in front of my colony.  It is about one to two inches long with black, orange and yellow coloring.  I can't find it on line.  The closest I've been able to find is the Cicada Killer Wasp, but not close enough.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks!  David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 06:57:02 pm »
One of those mud daubers maybe? But they don't dig holes.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:08:19 am »
No it wasn't a dauber.  The face was the pale yellow.  At first I thought Pale-faced hornet but I don't know what one looks like.  

Jerrymac!

I can't get a good look at the picture, but, except for the head that is real close.  I have pix and will get them to Wal-mart tomorrow and if they let me I will post one.  I have trouble with their pix disks loading up.  Usually they're just usless, but fast.

Oh oh!  I didn't see the second one.  That looks dead on!  Thanks!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 04:21:21 pm »
FOUND IT!!!  It's called the Great Golden Digger Wasp.  I saw a picture of it here.

www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Sphex_ichneumoneus

Thanks!  David