Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees at Little Hill Mine  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
Bees at Little Hill Mine
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »
I went on a (partial) bee call today..... I think the job is too big for me. Halfway through, robbing started. WAY too many bees!! Yikes!! Photos: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/LadyDawn142/Little%20Hill%20Mine%20-%20bees%20in%20air%20duct/
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Bees at Little Hill Mine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:34:20 pm »
Nice wide comb sections would fit nicely in deep frames, good access to the colony. If you could borrow a bee vac, you could do this one, good genetics too.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:38:08 pm »
Looks like a good place to use the bee vac. Lots of good looking comb in there and plenty of bees to to go with it.

The combs are nice and wide to fill up a deep frame.

Are You going back?

G3

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:39:34 pm »
Jp are we thinking the same thing or what :?   :-D

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 11:40:32 pm »
Yes, good genetics. The property owner said they've been there about three years. I don't think any cold air from the a/c was getting into that trailer anymore! Makes you wonder what the bees thought of all the cold air, but they continued to live in the ductwork even with the unit running.

The trailer is vacant now but was occupied until quite recently.

G3, I don't think I'm going back. This wasn't a paying job. I went there mostly because I was interested in getting some of the honey -- and the queen if I could grab her, but I think she's waaaaay up in there somewhere. The ductwork goes along the top of the trailer, to an opening in the middle of the ceiling. There's probably about another 8 to 10 feet of hive..  :shock:

The owner has a bee suit. Even so, I think he's got his work cut out for him. (I've got stings all over my fingers. I was wearing nitrile gloves.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:13:24 am by Cheryl »
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle