Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting honey using this method  (Read 7315 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Harvesting honey using this method
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:12:44 pm »
Saw this on youtube from Backwards. Does anyone cut the capped honey combs out like Kirk does, right next to the hive and put the frames back?
Any negatives with this method?
Seems like less mess in the kitchen.
Putting the frames back I know the bees will clean up the dripping honey but will there be issues, aside from ants?

Backwards Beekeepers TV: The Honey Harvest

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Harvesting honey using this method
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:25:30 pm »
A guy looses 50% of yield when bees make new combs. Mad man.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:14:43 pm »
If you tried that during a dearth or in a crowded bee yard you would set off a robbing incident of EPIC proportions...EPIC I tell ya.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
Add that to the amount of uncapped comb he harvested, and he will have some nice mead in about a week.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »
a guy looses 50% of yield when bees make new combs. Mad man.

Educate me? How so?

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:48 pm »
a guy looses 50% of yield when bees make new combs. Mad man.

Finski, do you have any empirical evidence for that claim? I ask only because I've seen claims of from little cost to over 75% cost for cut comb/crush and strain.

The only scientific discussions I've seen on the topic point to a MUCH lower effect.

J-

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:59:05 pm »
To produce their wax, bees must consume about eight times as much honey by mass.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »
To produce their wax, bees must consume about eight times as much honey by mass.

mean of 8.4 lbs according to Whitcomb (1946)

And, One pound of wax supports about 22 lbs of honey. (From Beeswax Production, Harvesting, Processing and Products, Coggshall and Morse pg 41)

Therefore, spending eight pounds of honey, nets 22 pounds of honey storage. Thats a 36% difference but it's also not including the capping wax lost if you extract. We might be able to drop that to 33%-35%?

Consider also that Whitcomb (1946) found a tendency for wax production to become more efficient as time progressed. A hive raised on crush-and-strain or cut comb may then produce wax even more efficiently, maybe down to a 20%-25% loss?

Figure in your expense for extracting, time difference including setup and cleanup, equipment depreciation and my calculator just fried. :-D :-D

I'm GUESSING that there's a harvest volume in there somewhere that "justifies" extraction -vs- comb removal...

I'm hoping that someone can provide more studies beyond the two above that I "borrowed" off of Michael Bush's web site.

J-

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 06:07:48 pm »
HomeBru ......

Hint

You can  harvest AND SELL the bees wax. On a 10 frame Med. (6 5/8")  you wil get about 2lbs.of bees wax.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:09:09 pm »
Wow!  That is a lot of expended food and energy to make the wax, why would someone crush and strain?  I have seen a homemade spinner made from 2by4's and a garbage bag and drill on utube.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:02 pm »
it is true that they have to remake the wax, but they have to if you do cut comb also.  crush and strain is a good method for someone only doing a small amount of honey.  it's quick and efficient.  bees make comb.  they have no problem making more.  they do it in the hive to expand the area for brood and storage all the time.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 06:25:58 pm »
For a small producer, crush and strain is cheaper and takes less space/specialized equipment.  And some people like to use/sell the wax as well.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

bigbearomaha

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 06:44:42 pm »
crush and strain works well for those with top bar hives because you aren't pulling as many combs from any one given hive usually as you are from a box/frame hive like the langstroth hives.

Bees are pretty efficient and quick at drawing out new comb and it helps keep the rotation of old comb moving out of the hive faster.  giving the bees fresh wax for brood rearing much more often.

All in all, if you only look at honey production, one can see some concern, but as part of whole hive health and small, consistent honey production, crush and strain is my choice.

Big Bear

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »
Thanks for all the info and points of view!  New brood new comb does sound good and healthy.  A lot of ideas to think about, thanks, Country :)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:05:58 pm »
so with all this in mind, would ross rounds be better than cut comb? of course better meaning you wouldnt have to make the bees works as hard and that way they can collect more honey

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 07:13:48 pm »
how would they not have to work as hard?  i have heard that ross rounds are a trick to use. do some research on them before you spend the money.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 08:32:58 pm »
I would be worried about robbing to start with.   I know when feeding, they get stirred up and they do end up in the syrup bucket.  I second would worry about all that uncapped honey went into that bucket.   And I guess the crushed and strained all the bees that ended up in that bucket also. 
On the other hand, that was a steep hill and hauling 40 pound boxes down the hill would have been a pain,  but not that much for me.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »
don't think i'd do it at the hives.  that would be a mess.  wouldn't worry to much about the bees that die in it though.  when you take the honey comb and junk from a cutout you get some dead bees in it.  i pick them out before i crush and then strain out the odd bits that are left behind.

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
HomeBru ......

Hint

You can  harvest AND SELL the bees wax. On a 10 frame Med. (6 5/8")  you wil get about 2lbs.of bees wax.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

Yep! I'm just getting started and already have a few folks eagerly waiting "real" beeswax for their soaps, candles, and homeopathic stuff.

J-

bigbearomaha

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »
it all depends on how you prepare for it.

I use a wagon the pails sit on  (or a box/empty hive with a lid)

It's then easy enough to cut the comb into the pail(s) after brushing bees from said comb and placing lid on right away.

Some bees sometimes still find their way into the pail but they are removed easily enough before crushing.

if you anticipate having multiple pails, the wagon makes for an easy trip.

those gardeners wagons with all terrain tires are great for this.

Big Bear