Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: warm day in Washington  (Read 3727 times)

Anonymous

warm day in Washington
« on: January 21, 2005, 05:16:37 pm »
A real  nice day(61degrees) here in Washington. So out doing a few thing noticed no bees flying .. Went and looked sure enough all bees dead laying on the bottom board ..This the second hive that has died since november. So starting all over again ..Now what to do with the honey that is left ? Four supers full It looks like they did not even use any this winter But some of them might have medication for mites . Is the honey any good for consumption ?

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
warm day in Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:07:24 pm »
If the frames are fully sealed and NONE is dripping, then fermenting is probably a minimal problem. If you plan to start over though, I'd try to save the honey for the next generation of bees.

Consumption (if you treated with apistan strips, etc., ) "according to the directions" should be safe (again though, I would stay away from any that isn't sealed.

Of course, I'd strongly suggest inspection of the hives by a state or local apiest, just to be sure that the hives didn't die from American or European Foulbrood or other diseases that would transmit into the NEXT generation of bees you install. No matter what, I think you need to know WHY they died ESPECIALLY if you lost a hive as early as November.

Personally, if I thought that the frames would hold up and not ferment, I'd save them for the next generation of bees. It will give them a great boost as the start out in the Spring, especially with all the remaining frames that are drawn out. That alone lets the queen go right to work laying eggs without having to wait for drawn comb.

Again though, do yourself and any other beekeepers in your area and have the hives inspected.

Good luck and hope more people reply.

PS.... I notice you are here as a guest, I hope you join the forums so we can follow along with your seasons ahead. Beekeeping is an EVER-LEARNING process that no one here can claim to have mastered - no matter how much you know, there is ALWAYS something more you can learn and interaction in this forum enviroment is a great tool that I hope that all guests take advantage of.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Grant

• New Bee
warm day in Washington
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:41:05 pm »
I 'am register but for some reason the forum would not take my Username . thanks for the reply.  Grant

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Warm Day dead Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:22:27 am »
Grant is that Washington State or DC?

I think my bees might be dead as well.... why? Last time it was warm here (near DC) I saw nobody flying around (which is weird because they were up until then).

I have gone out now twice with a medical stethescope and hear absolutely nothing inside (listening from the outside).

So I am fearing for the worst.

It will also leave me in the same situation for spring.....

Rob
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Grant

• New Bee
warm day in Washington
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 08:30:43 pm »
Washington State

beeware184

Washington state
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 11:25:39 pm »
You must be in the tri-cities or some place like that.  I live in Nine Mile and we are being teased with 40 degree weather after -10.  I will open a hive this weekend and see what is going on.  So far, a lot of dead bees in the snow...a good sign so far. :D

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
FERMENTED AND REUSED HONEY
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 02:15:41 am »
hOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE HONEY HAS FERMENTED? IS THAT UNCAPPED HONEY? ALSO WHEN YOU GIVE THEM THE HONEY FROM LAST YEAR DO YOU HAVE TO UNCAP IT OR DO THEY JUST DO THE WORK?
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)