Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beef vs. good venison  (Read 4238 times)

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
beef vs. good venison
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »
Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs, and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: beef vs. good venison
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »
well now I know how to prepare my steak.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:02:49 pm »
I am getting hungry and at the same time wanting to go for a walk with the rifle.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:54:39 pm »
WOW!!! I never saw it done like that.

The deer dropped instantly from the direct shot to the heart, carried to a tree, hung up side down throat cut, bleed and gutted. Then cooled down on the hood of the vehicle on the way home, Strung up again and skinned, head cut off, skin and head sent to taxidermist for processing into keep sakes and the rest sent to local butcher shop and cut up into choice cuts..... still tasted like venison.  :roll:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »
Shame on you, G3. You're giving all my butchering secrets away.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:33:45 pm »
I love it.  I've tasted venison like that, but none of it was mine.  I experimented with every theory, from skinning them sooner to leaving the skin on for a week.  From removing the scent glands to leaving them on.  They all tasted fine.  I think you hit the nail on the head.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
Sounds like one of my family reunions. A good thorough throat cuttin' seems to do the trick for me. One thing that helped me get away from 300lbs of soup bones was watching a real butcher do it on Youtube. I learned where the certain cuts were and they actually turned out ok. The golf ball technique of skinning a deer is the berries though. Works like a charm.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »
I'm not a hunter I'm a cook.  My brother and his boys fill the freezers and I empty them.  I made my last batch of venison sausage 3 weeks ago and they have already knocked 3 down this season.  I love venison and actually prefer it to beef.  Give me a venison back strap any day.

Once I made a giant pot of venison chili for a Super Bowl party.  Everyone at the party said it was the best chili they had ever had.  I waited for everyone at the party to go back for seconds before I announced,  "you ever seen that movie Bambi....your eating him".  People were spitting food out of their mouths and some were extremely upset.  I just laughed and laughed.  They loved it until they knew it was a deer.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:17 pm »
I'm not a hunter I'm a cook.  My brother and his boys fill the freezers and I empty them.  I made my last batch of venison sausage 3 weeks ago and they have already knocked 3 down this season.  I love venison and actually prefer it to beef.  Give me a venison back strap any day.

Once I made a giant pot of venison chili for a Super Bowl party.  Everyone at the party said it was the best chili they had ever had.  I waited for everyone at the party to go back for seconds before I announced,  "you ever seen that movie Bambi....your eating him".  People were spitting food out of their mouths and some were extremely upset.  I just laughed and laughed.  They loved it until they knew it was a deer.

I will never, ever understand people deciding something is delicious and changing their minds once they find out what it is.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 03:36:52 am »
When cooking wild game, low and slow is the rule.

Fried backstrap is hard to beat.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:50:53 am »
All this talk about backstrap made me hungry. Think I'll just have to have some for breakfast with some hashbrown's and egg's.   :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
When cooking wild game, low and slow is the rule.

Fried backstrap is hard to beat.

...JP

After successfully making shoe leather out of it repeatedly, I finally figured that out too  :-D

Bear tastes better than beef to me and I love some cajuned gator.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:33 pm »
Gator is "ok"....to me it just taste like any other reptile
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

anything