Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Breeds & Colors of Bee's  (Read 3098 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bee Breeds & Colors of Bee's
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:33:55 am »
JUST A WILD QUESTION I BEEN THINKING ABOUT

I have a question dealing with this topic (bee breeds), if people sell open mated queens, and they come different colors (some black and some gold off the same queen), how do you know if what your buying is what you ordered, if truth be known, are most open breeder's selling what some people call mut's like the feral hive I got last week, they dont know what the queen bread to unless they AI, and if she wasn't AI breed, what was her father? what was her mothers father and so on? seems like after so many open breedings you might not have the line of bee's you started with they could be a little of everything else, whats the main tell-tell way to tell what kind of bee you have? does the breeder look at each hive and says, good honey producer and not much propolis - goes into winter with a bigger cluster these must bee italians, to much propolis must be cordovian, I know this probably doesn't happen but whats the difference? EXAMPLE: if I raise some queens from this feral hive I removed from a home and call them italians, whats the way to prove there not italians or do you just have to take my word? maybe my kona's look alike because there on the islands, dont know, if there is no clear way to tell what you are buying, then some of them muts might have more italian line in them than what you buy.   :?  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 02:55:52 am »
It is not essential are they Italian or what they are. How they act with human, do they swarm, that is essential.

Queen flyes often over 5 km and copulate with 16 drones. It's meaning is to avoid interbreeding´and to get "stranger's blood" into family.

When you have many crossings with the world bees are going to act like in nature:
1) swarming = to reproduce
2) attach on you = to defence hive and honey stock
3) try to make you blind = learn you keep out  hive!
4) and so on

Breeding means to select unwanted habits away, but when those habbits are natural succes for bees, there is conflict between human and bee.

To drive away enemy like a man, that is feral's hit!
Thank's to varroa! It killed our feral bees in Finland and took away they nasty manners. Now beekeping is  easy.

If you have feral bees in the nabour, it is diffucult to raise own queens. First generation is good. Second is wild.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 09:28:04 am »
very nicely put finsky :D
Ryan Horn

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 02:47:11 pm »
this post isn't getting the responses I thought it might get ,

GUEST I HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!

good points finman, the point I was trying to get at was, people selling italians, russians, cordovans, buckfast, and SMR ect. and open mating the queen's and then selling them as that line of bee even after generation and still open mating, that type of bee will bee no more after
so many breeding unless they AI.  the way I see it , there aren't to many breeder's out there ( if any) that can sell you a italian or any thing else,)even with drone flooding areas, they aren't for sure there queens mated with there drone but go by good possibility, they can only sell you the bee's that act like the bee's you want. so if
what ever bee's any of you bought this year, odds are you only got a bee that acts like what you ordered. and to me the type of bee isn't important, this post was just something I was thinking about while I was drive to and from work. :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Daddy-T

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 01:22:05 pm »
Ted,
        I am working NWC's in 10 hives this year from Strachan Apiaries in Ca. I asked them if they used the close AI breeding program and they said yes?
        So I would think others are to? Right? I realize as you all have stated if my Queens do get superseded the breeding will be mixed. If I like the NWC traits as some say I will, I will have to requeen every couple of years to keep them in line with the NWC breed.

Tim
Pass it on to the kids