Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Commercial sunflowers = no pollen  (Read 6271 times)

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
Commercial sunflowers = no pollen
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:56:27 pm »
I have a farm nearby that grows sunflowers. He uses commercial (genetically altered) seeds. The plants supposedly have no pollen.  Anyone ever run into this situation ?   Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Commercial sunflowers = no pollen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
I hope the farmers in my area do not start using that variety. I presently have bees on sunflowers and they are hauling in lots of pollen and nectar. 

Look here for pictures that I posted today.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,24794.msg194119.html#msg194119

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »
I know.  Sunflower honey is good.   Will have to wait and see.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:20:45 pm »
Just made a delivery into Kansas last week and saw about 30 hives sitting on the side of a huge sunflower field. Wonder how those are doing? I noticed that at the store when just trying to buy seeds for around the house some say "pollen free", some are good for eating, others are not good for eating. I believe in the garden section someone said you have to make sure when planting you get nonhybrid flowers beause the hybrids are not producing pollen. Maybe Im worng, Ill look for the post.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:05 am »
There are hybrid sunflowers that produce pollen.  There is open pollinated sunflowers that produce pollen.  There are hybrid sunflowers that do not produce pollen.  When I have purchased seed for myself in past years, many years ago, I ensured that when I purchased the seed that I chose the cultivar that produced pollen.  There are some very beautiful sunflowers that do not produce pollen, but produce the most beautiful flowers.  Personally, I would always chose pollen varieties.  That is too bad that many grow "pollen free" sunflowers for sure.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, health and life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:26:18 pm »
The farmer said he only uses nonpollen sunflowers.   Hmmmm
thanks everyone for the help.
Mike