Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stuck Feeder Lids  (Read 2128 times)

Offline RogerB

• New Bee
Stuck Feeder Lids
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:46:17 pm »
I use 1 gal. glass jars to feed with.  I took them off and didn't remove the lids right away.  Now that I want to clean them I can't budge the lids.  I've used hot water, tapping on the edges, I even went and bought a strap wrench but the strap isn't long enough to encircle the lid.  I'd be grateful for any suggestions.  Thanks,
Roger
Roger

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Stuck Feeder Lids
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 09:58:50 pm »
1. Use a belt for your strap wrench.
2. Set the jars upside in a pan of water and bring just the hint of a boil.
3. Use belt to unscrew lid.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »
Lowe's sells a 3 pack of belt wrenches, I'm sure the large one would work. I also would soak them longer. I have found over the years that when a job isn't going like it should, take a break, drink a beer or beverage of your choice, kick the dog, kick the cat, then go back and presto the task can be accomplished. If not, go back and kick dog and cat again.  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:42:41 am »
I've been known to touch the center of the lid with a torch briefly (very briefly) to get it to let go...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:55 pm »
This is a easy one for me to tell because it happens so much to me.  :)  I take a hive lid and got a hole saw just a tad smaller then the jar lids I use. I just work the jar lid into the hole press down hard and turn it right off. Tapping on the side of the jar lid (in direction that it comes off) to a board also helps.