Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to get package of Carniolan bees?  (Read 5390 times)

Offline ncbeekeeper

• New Bee
Where to get package of Carniolan bees?
« on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:39 pm »
Hey everyone and Merry Christmas!

In the spring I want to start a new hive with Carniolan bees and was wondering where is a good place to get them. All the important stuff like healthy, non aggressive in the past, things like that.

I appreciate any input,

Scott..

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Where to get package of Carniolan bees?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »
If you have hives already you can make a split and get a carnolian queen.  In a few weeks you have a carnolian hive.

For a package...I'm not too sure.  The places I usually go to are just doing about everything but carnolian.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »
If you google "ncagr Permit to sell pdf", the second link to a PDF containing every bee seller approved to sell bees in NC for 2008. I have no idea if the list will change much from 2008 to 2009.
http://www.ncagr.gov/plantindustry/PLANT/APIARY/documents/PermittoSell.pdf
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:29:06 pm by buzzbee »
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:33:58 pm »
Depends on how far you want to have a queen shipped. I get great carni's from   knightfamilyhoney.com . They are in Utah.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:52:38 pm »
i went to that  site  about  the queens  did not see a price list nowhere for them   why
your frend   hardtime

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:32:43 pm »
I believe they will get going after the first of the year. It says taking orders in Jan. so that is my guess. I'm not going to even hazard a guess as to what the prices  were last year, that paperwork is too buried. Prices were in line with others around the country so I'm sure they will be competitive and they always sell out like most everybody else.

Bruce
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline ncbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:48:22 am »
Is it possible to get a package instead of just a queen?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 07:52:18 am »
Getting a package of some types of bees is very hard. I tell people all the time to get whatever package you can, then requeen with the queen stock of your preference later on. It is much easier to find quality queens, outside of most package providers.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything