Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from Santa Clara, California  (Read 1807 times)

Offline fuhler

• Brood
Howdy from Santa Clara, California
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:44:09 am »
Hi Bee People,

Just joined up. I have been interested in bees forever. As many people's concern in the past years grows, I have made a point to grow food in my garden keeping insects and bees as safe as possible. I notice that many folks just spray pesticides without any thought whatsoever to the extremely detrimental affects on the local ecosystem.

Educating myself, and subsequently those around me, is a positive and powerful way to get a grip on indiscriminate use of toxins.

As far as bees are concerned, this season, I just happened to plant 30+ cucumber seeds directly adjacent to my herb growing area. The Italian oregano and cucumber blossoms were intertwined. Apparently, bees just love that oregano, and as a result I noticed that they end up cruising into the cucumber blossoms. This was an epiphany of sorts. Sure it makes perfect sense, but I just didn't realize what a great way to keep the bees feeding, and also give me and mine boatloads of fresh vegetables.

I am looking forward to learning much more about bees. Thanks!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Howdy from Santa Clara, California
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:06:02 am »
   Welcome and be prepared to learn a bunch.  Great folks here.  The only thing I have truly learned is that I still have no clue and getting more stupid by the minute.  But what a great way to go.  Past three years have been a blast and am hoping for about at least fifty more!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:54:59 am »
Welcome!  My Grandparents lived in Sunnyvale, (my Aunt & Cousin still do) & I can remember when there were orchards all over & a place for hamburgers that looked like a barn & when Toys R Us was first put in. Mom would ship us kids off every summer vacation.  Nanny & Pops would take us to fishing @Half Moon bay, Sea Cliff (isn't that the place that had the cement boat??)Coyote Point (usually cold & windy w/gravellyseashell sand), Santa Cruz & some other places.  Many good memories of that area!  Probably pretty built up now though!  Enjoy your bees!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:38:37 pm »
Fehler.  Welcome to our forum, this will be the place that you can learn a whole lot about bees. Ask questions, you will always get great answers.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service