Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Switch Hive bodies  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
Switch Hive bodies
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »
Hello
I am new to beekeeping, and am looking for advice. This is a follow up to my first question on this forum. My bees have been in the bottom hive body for 24 days as of today. I looked at them on May 5 and most of the frames had comb built out. I would say 6 had brood on both sides, lots of it. Right above that hive I have the inner cover and then I have a empty second hive body with a jar of the sugar water for feed and telescoping cover on top. I feel I need to take out the sugar water and place 10 foundations in it. I am nervous about the cold snap here in Wisconsin, down to 32 tonight and high of 44 on Tuesday and still more cold after that. I do not want the brood to die. One bee keeper on this forum suggested that I move the hive with the bees to the top and put the empty hive with the empty foundation on the bottom. Heat rises, so the heat will stay on the top where the bees will be. I think that is a good idea, anyone agree??. One question I need to know if I do this, will the bees go DOWN and fill the comb below them?? Is this un-natural for them.  Should I reverse the hives when / if it ever warms up here??  I am seeing little fuzzy bees by my entrance so the brood is starting to hatch. Am I the expecting father, can bees take the cold with brood ?? Any advice / hints would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Switch Hive bodies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »
Is your hive like this   :?

hive cover

hive body  (New no bees)

inner cover

hive body  (old bees the brood live in it)

bottom board

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »
Should look like this

hive cover

inner cover

hive body  (old bees the brood live in it)

hive body  (New no bees)

bottom board

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:12:14 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 06:25:59 pm »
Right now (Top down view)
Telescoping cover
Empty hive with sugar water jar
Inner cover
Hive with foundation and bees
bottom board.

My problem is I need put more foundation in due to brood hatching but the weather is so cold, down to 32 F tonight again.  Are you saying that when I add the second hive box it goes below the hive with the bees in ? I always thought it went on top like the honey suppers. This is the first time I have done this.  Thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »
It can go either way. We suggest you bottom super this time because of temperatures. In better weather, do it any way you want to.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:22:00 pm »
Telescoping cover
Empty hive with sugar water jar
Inner cover
Hive with foundation and bees
(put new super here)
bottom board.

Because of temperatures and keep feeding

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline ruth

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »
I am also a newbee to excuse my presumption in adding to the conversation!

I am intrigued to see people suggesting adding the new hive body underneath the old one.  We were not told this in our class, but it makes sense with the other things I have seen posted on this site.

My 2cents is this - right now I am using the feeder pail in the empty hive body just as you describe.  It was my intention once I add the second hive body to use a top feeder instead of the feeder pail so that I don't have to have 3 hive bodies in total (3 deep supers) - so I will have

telescoping cover
top feeder
inner cover
2 deep supers (2 hive bodies) which I now see should have the "mature" one on top and the new one undernerath
then bottom board

Any comments on the top feeder?

And thanks!
"They alone hold children in common: own the roofs of their city as one: and pass their life under the might of the law. They alone know a country, and a settled home, and in summer, remembering the winter to come, undergo labour, storing their gains for all."
Virgil, Georgics IV, 154-157

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:49 pm »
you can do it either way, but bees in nature build from the top down.  if you put it on top, it's easier to check.  if you put it under the bees are more apt to move easily down on to it.  the reason the honey supers go on top is that bees store for the winter at the top and down the sides of the brood nest. 

i prefer under and i don't get to hung up on checking all the way through the hive.  i usually do it once in spring and once again before winter to make sure they have stores, etc.  for a new beekeeper that wants to examine every thing, all the time, on top might be easier.  if the bees don't move up, there are trick to getting them to move up. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.