Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help with Existing Hive  (Read 1573 times)

Offline bbane

• Brood
Help with Existing Hive
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:45:29 pm »
My father was an avid beekeeper and recently passed away.  He left behind two active colonies.  Both have 5 supers on them and I am unsure if they were treated for mites in the fall.  I am new to beekeeping and would like to keep my fathers hives.  I have not yet inspected the hive, and the Queen appears to be at the top.  The hives are of the Langstroth design and have 10 frames per super. 

Should I remove any of the supers?  Should I feed the hive?  Should I treat for mites?  Any additional information regarding the initial inspection of these hives would be greatly appreciated.  Thank-You.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Help with Existing Hive
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:13:21 pm »
My father was an avid beekeeper and recently passed away.  He left behind two active colonies.  Both have 5 supers on them and I am unsure if they were treated for mites in the fall.  I am new to beekeeping and would like to keep my fathers hives.  I have not yet inspected the hive, and the Queen appears to be at the top.  The hives are of the Langstroth design and have 10 frames per super. 
First, Welcome to the forums. Update your profile to include your location we can help you better that way. Find out if there is a local beekeepers club near you.
Should I remove any of the supers?
Do an inspection first. See how much brood you have. Look for any signs of disease.

Should I feed the hive? 
Probably not. Depends on where you are.

Should I treat for mites?
Probably not again. Depends on where you are and how many mites you have. You could do a powdered sugar treatment. You could do a sticky board or shake test to see how many mites you have.

Any additional information regarding the initial inspection of these hives would be greatly appreciated.  Thank-You.

Rule #1 when dealing with bees. Have fun.
Rule #2 You don't know it all,, and you don't have to.
Rule #3 When looking in the hive, take your time, don't rush, the bees don't like that. Then the bees won't like you.
Rule #4 Look at the comb. How is it. Nice and relatively even (not perfect). What color is it? Colors can range so don't freak if it isn't all the same. If it is runny or not very uniform, you might have to be concerned. If it is abandon and feels like potato chips it might be an issue.
Rule #5 Look at the cells. Look for eggs(very hard to see, so don't freak if you don't see them). look for larvae (little curled up white looking worms in cells). Look for capped brood(cells that are capped with an opaque tan cover). Disease generally shows itself with the young bees. Sunken brood caps, mummified looking pupae. Strange smells. Cells that are damaged and have silk covering them. Small black beetles running amok. Note seeing these signs is not a reason to panic. We all live with a certain amount of pests. It is keeping the numbers managable.
Rule #6 Look at the bees. Do they seem to be moving well. Are the wings in good shape. Are there a bunch of dead bees piled up on the bottom. A few dead bees no big deal. If the bottom looks like a funeral home, problem.
Rule #7 If you can spot the queen great. If not it's ok if you see brood (eggs, larvae, capped cells).
Rule #8 What kind of shape are the boxes in? If you can see water rot, mold, and they are likely to fall apart if you breath on them, you might want to replace them.
Rule #9 What kind of shape are the frames in? If you lift them do they all fall apart?
Rule #10 All rules are subject to change, including the one that says the bees have to like you. If you make a mistake it's ok. This isn't rocket science, it's biology. :)

Now take lots of pictures post them. And we can help you even more. Even the ones of all the places you got stung.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Help with Existing Hive
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:34:38 pm »
what understudy said...except, i'd really study up on mites.  if the hives have not been treated in the last year or so, you can figure you have them.  lack of treatment takes down hives pretty quick.  some on here have lost hives because they didn't get at the mites.

you'll get lots of advice on mite treatment.  i like Apiguard.  it's easy and pretty much idiot proof.  some only use powdered sugar. some regress to small cell...i'd study up on that too.  it takes time and research is less that supportive at this point.

if you have a beekeeper in your area, or a group, they can give you info on diseases and mite loads in your area.

don't worry about being new.  as i go into my second year and learn more, i find that there is more i don't know that what i do know. :-)

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything