Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with spare queen cells?  (Read 6890 times)

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
What to do with spare queen cells?
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:29:00 pm »
I was checking a couple of my hives over the weekend and noticed that one of the hives has lost it's queen and made emergency cells.  There are about 12 over 3 frames. 

Bearing in mind that I live in Gippsland (think cold and wet - average daytime top at the moment is about 13-15 degree C), what do I do with them?  Is it worth making a split or will there be no drones for the virgin queens to mate with anyway?  Is it better just to merge this queenless hive with a queenright until the weather warms up and then spit from there?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

malachii

Offline Javin

• House Bee
Re: What to do with spare queen cells?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »
Great question.  I just purchased some queens for a nuc split I'd made, and when I opened the nuc, found that they'd made 5 queen cells.  I ended up killing off the cells to keep the new queen I'd purchased, but I'm also curious as to whether or not they would've been mated if I'd just let them create their own hive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:43 pm »
If they were swarm cells I'd make up a few nucs or do a split. Emergency queen cells I would leave alone. If there are no drones available you should combine them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:58:19 pm »
If they were swarm cells I'd make up a few nucs or do a split. Emergency queen cells I would leave alone. If there are no drones available you should combine them.

Will the virgin queens ALWAYS end up mating with drones, or is there only certain times of year that the breeding will happen?  And what if the only drones available are her siblings?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:54 pm »
Javin, nature intends that virgins mate with drones from colonies other than their own but inbreeding does occur if she has no alternative. If there are no drones available she does not get mated pure and simple. I would allow them the opportunity to requeen and if they were unsuccessful I would do a combine.

Javin, not all virgin queens get mated. Some fight to the death with other virgin queens because they want to be the queen. Search this site and others about "piping". You will find the topic very interesting.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:56 pm »
Oh wow!  That's the first I've heard of "piping."  Super interesting!

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »
 malachii  you'r in
 West Gippsland,Victoria Australia  :?

Do you have drones flying this time of year  ???

You need a beekeeper from  DOWN UNDER

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:40:24 pm »
If it were me I'd keep them all in there and see what happens. With your weather you might not have an ample supply of drones but they will often winter with a small drone force...ya never know, it might work out!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:15 am »
Malachii, i'm in Melbourne - i haven't seen any drones in my hives as of yet - although there were some that are capped cells... do you have any down there yet? if not then i would leave them to sort it out - don't try and do any splits - there is a possibility your new queen may not have an opportunity to have a successful mating flight so you will need to combine down the track or contact a Queen Breeder in Queensland (Covery Brothers) to see if you can source a queen from them

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:43 pm »
Hi Oz,

I'm in Melbourne too. Have you been in your hives lately? I was under the impression it was too cold. What sort of conditions do you work them under?

For the record, I haven't noticed any drones either but I haven't opened up my hives during winter. The girls are very busy at the moment though, any fine weather we have and they are busy dragging in pollen.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 01:46:26 am »
Hey Bernsad, what area of melbourne are you in? I'm north-west

I have only opened one hive and that was the other day when it was fine, sunny and no wind... as a general rule I don't open my hives unless it's aroun 17oC - 18oC, sunny and still... I generally wait until mid - end august. Just depends though - sometimes you need to open a hive...

The girls are incredibly busy on fine days which is marvellous!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:13 am »
I'm in the north-east, out past Greensborough.

I've been thinking about working one of the hives. I have a 5 frame nuc that I want to move into an 8 frame box so they've got some room to expand going into Spring. The other few hives are all overwintering in 2 deep boxes so they will be fine for a while.

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:20 am »
Thanks for the info guys - looks like I might just leave them alone and see what happens.  I know I saw a few drones in this hive and some drone comb so maybe there are some about.  I'll just have to wait.

malachii

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 08:28:24 am »
On the subject of mellbourne's weather Thursday just gone I popped out to Seville in the Yarra Valley where I have some hives. 1 is being fed sugar syrup, it was about 14.c. I thought I could be fast enough to open the lid without a smoker and veil and tip some syrup into 2 frame feeders! Geeeesus did I get nailed!

Interesting question in regards a new virgin queen this time of year. Is it possible that a queen will post pone her mating flight until weather improves and the drones are flying?

Ben

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »

I've been thinking about working one of the hives. I have a 5 frame nuc that I want to move into an 8 frame box so they've got some room to expand going into Spring. The other few hives are all overwintering in 2 deep boxes so they will be fine for a while.

I'd hold off moving them out of the nuc! we've still got some cold nights ahead of us and the queen won't be laying that much yet... by all means i'd have a look though if the conditions are right.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
On the subject of mellbourne's weather Thursday just gone I popped out to Seville in the Yarra Valley where I have some hives. 1 is being fed sugar syrup, it was about 14.c. I thought I could be fast enough to open the lid without a smoker and veil and tip some syrup into 2 frame feeders! Geeeesus did I get nailed!

Interesting question in regards a new virgin queen this time of year. Is it possible that a queen will post pone her mating flight until weather improves and the drones are flying?

Ben

Ouch! yeah, 14oC is warm enough for them to pretty active! Imagine if you were in a warm cozy bed and someone came along and ripped the doona off! I know I wouldn't be smiling  :-D some smoke might have saved you...

No, from my understanding the queen has a finite time to be mated - if she doesn't mate during that time she never will...

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 07:25:04 am »

I'd hold off moving them out of the nuc! we've still got some cold nights ahead of us and the queen won't be laying that much yet... by all means i'd have a look though if the conditions are right.
Thanks Oz,
I can afford to wait, it was just a thought.

anything