Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fondant Question  (Read 1624 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Fondant Question
« on: January 10, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »
We made some fondant from a recipe, but I guess we made it too thick.  The recipe was pretty unclear about how big of a pan to use, I used my largest jelly roll pan, but it's about 3/4" thick (maybe a bit thinner, but not much).  So, how would we give this to our bees?  What I'm thinking of doing is putting on an Imirie shim, putting the fondant on the top bars and putting on the inner cover - is this ok?  It's going to get cold here again after quite a warm spell, we lost our bees last year because of weather just like this, so we want to try to prevent it - any suggestions?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Fondant Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:41:58 am »
However you can figure out to make room for it on top of the top bars.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#drysugar
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:07 am »
I use a betterbee shim they sell. You can also use a super and fill the area around it w/ insulation. Either hard board insulation w/ hole cut out, or just some "pink" stuff stuffed over and around top.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice gentleman. I moved the fondant inside the hives yesterday and the girls were going to town so to speak. They still had stores inside the frames from what I could see so I was surprised they were even touching the fondant. As long as they're eating something I'm happy. I'd love to see a couple of our hives make the winter.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

anything