Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted rack versus queen excluder  (Read 1667 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Slatted rack versus queen excluder
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:49:10 pm »
Well, I am still on this topic because this is all new for me. As I expressed previously I never knew the queen excluder was a problem until I read all the posts. (and now this morning I experienced this first hand, when I noticed my bees not going through the excluder - at first I thought they were, but it was just a handful) 

Now I am curious about the slatted rack.

So what I am understanding is, I place the slatted rack in place of the queen excluder under the honey super??

This keeps the queen from going up into the honey super???

Let me know soon, as I will have to purchase one soon as possible and from Betterbees, I believe Michael Bush mentioned as a very good one.

Thank you for all the help
Annette

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Slatted rack versus queen excluder
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 02:59:59 pm »
I have them from Betterbee and a few other places as well.  If you're going to use it for an excluder (really a "queen discourager) I would cut it down to be 3/8" space above and below instead of the 2" or more that it comes with at the bottom.  If you want a discourager, a simple solution is to turn your queen excluder 90 degrees so you have a gap on the ends.  The queen CAN get through but usually isn't interested.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:49:43 pm »
I would endorse everything Michael Bush just said. 
I use a slatted rack for a queen excluder and have been doing so for years.  If you buy the one from better, which is, IMO, the best commercially available 1, I would either cut it down or position 3/4X3/4 inch wood trim pieces below the existing slats so that the bees have a room to hang out in.  The depth of the betterbee slatted rack may provide more discouragement to queen in moving into the supers.

The slatted rack is not a cure all but it does provide more room within the hive to prevent bearding and aids in swarm control.  I've had queen pass through it to lay in the supers until I decided that the brood chambers were too limited for the queens needs.  Once I enlarged the brood area to 4 medium boxes I seldom have a problem with the queen moving up and when she does I just enlarge the brood chamber that much temporarily.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:17:58 am »
Thanks for the help. I have lots to digest now and just have to make a decision.

I really appreciate all the help I get from all you experienced people.

Sincerely,
annette