Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Than One Hive  (Read 4292 times)

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
More Than One Hive
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:33:13 am »
I am starting up my first hive this spring and have now thought that perhaps I should have got a second one in case I have problems with the first. What do you all think? The problem now is that I can't seem to find anybody that has any bees left for sale. I would have to get them shipped. Any suggestions? Maybe I could just get lucky and catch a swarm. :-\

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: More Than One Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:35:55 am »
i would have been good to start with two, but it's not a disaster that you did not.  i had only one my first year and lost it, but learned a lot.  check for a local beekeeping club. someone may have a nuc to sell now, or later. someone may also be willing to sell you a couple of frames of brood and bees and you could just buy a queen or grow your own.  good way to learn.

if none of that works, there is always next year....or you could get lucky and catch a swarm or two.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »
Imo when just starting out it in bee keeping it is best to start with at least 2 hives. It will expand your learning curve. Gives you qa chance to compare the 2 hives. If one for some reason would become queenless or has other troubles you may be able to use the other hive to bail it out. Look around I am sure there is some guys out your way that would be willing to sell a nuc. Good luck
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:16:10 pm »
I like Drapers for buying bees...  the packages have always had a lot more then 3lbs......  and they usually have some late...  the price went up this year,  but I have always gotten good packages and good queens from them in the past.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 02:19:01 pm »
I vote for Two!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 03:41:40 pm »
I also vote two.  Of course 2 the first year turns to 4 the second year.  Then 10 and so on.  Thats my experience. 

Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:55:37 pm »
That's what I planning................4 or maybe even 5 from splits.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:19:39 pm »
You won't be able to split that new hive the first year usually.   (there are exceptions I know)  But first year buildup when you have no established foundation or surplus honey stores  will need to be pretty much left alone.   splitting them will make it hard for them to store enough honey and build fast enough to overwinter.   you could feed and help them  but trust me  its cheaper to just buy 2 packages to start,  and ponder splits next year.   Darn suger prices are so high,,,,,

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »
 Two. As others said for comparison. If you only have one and it starts to seem to start getting weaker, you have a tendency to think, well, its time of year, lack of nectar, etc. Denial that something could be wrong until its too late. If you have two, queens being equal, they should rise and fall together. Yeah, I agree to forget about splits the first year. You need more knowledge than bees the first year.
 Don't count on luck and swarms unless they are common around you.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:58:04 pm »
I started with one and things went very well for me. They were nice and strong all the way along and even swarmed on me the next Spring (Hee! Hee!). But knowing what I know now, I would have started with two just in case.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:55:34 am »
You do what you can.  Catching a swarm is a great plan.  Buying packages is more of a sure thing.  Nothing says you can't do both.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 07:16:56 am »
I think everyone should start with a minimum of two hives.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:59 am »
Two is good!
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 03:38:28 pm »
Two is definitely better, but if you listen to some of us you will have 15 or 20 before you know it! :-D

Offline bullybrink

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:18:31 pm »
My second hive is on it's way. Thanks for all the advice guys. I never knew that beekeeping would be so addictive. I keep wondering now how many hives I could potentially keep in my backyard. :-D

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:18:05 pm »
My second hive is on it's way. Thanks for all the advice guys. I never knew that beekeeping would be so addictive. I keep wondering now how many hives I could potentially keep in my backyard. :-D

Till the neigbors complain, no neighbors lots. LOL
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:51 am »
Bee's are like Lays potatoe chips..can't EAT JUST ONE...I ended up with 4 my first season...

Also managed to talk the owner across the street into letting me use his unused 80 acres...and it has water...wooohooo
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
  • Golly I love this hobby
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 04:16:39 am »
Me too for the two hives your first time around. This is my first season as well and two seems to be very logical advice backed up by other keeper's experiences in many areas of this site.

Catching a swarm would be super cool as well! I turn my attention to that next season.  :evil:

Have fun with your bees!
Superhoney

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 11:10:22 am »
Bee's are like Lays potatoe chips..can't EAT JUST ONE...I ended up with 4 my first season...

Also managed to talk the owner across the street into letting me use his unused 80 acres...and it has water...wooohooo

My plan are starting with two hives and seeing if I can pick-up a swarm.   I may also try to do a cut-out this summer, I know that its going to require me to nurse them along until following spring, but I feel it worth it!

The other thing that may limit the number of hive would be town regulation, my dad was limited to 4 hive per property inside town limits.

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

anything