Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How long do you keep the queen in a catcher?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
How long do you keep the queen in a catcher?
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
Did a cut out today for an elderly lady in a run down garage due to the grass cutter was getting run of by the bees for some time. It was a pretty hive that had two queens  and looked like they were fixin to swarm. Had quite a number of queen cells also and may have had more but only saw two. How long do you hold the queen before releasing her back into the hive? Dilema is two queens and no where for the other. Do a split?? Oh by the way I was shocked to find 70lbs of honey stores also and for the number of bees leads me to believe the swarmed once already. Hive was 2 ft x 8ft. Vacuumed up about 5lbs of bees if I had to take a guess. Sorry no pics this time but will try next time.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: How long do you keep the queen in a catcher?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »
The question was asked here just the other day. Most of the guys keep the queen caged for 2 days. Some don't leave her caged at all.

The other thread is here: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,36933.0.html
Shane

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »
Thx Shane and I actually got a two for one. There is a smaller hive I am trying a trap out for the first time also.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:57:52 pm »
No worries mate.

Trap outs are great fun. Good luck with it.
Shane

Offline howardaj31

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:59 pm »
I asked this question a few weeks ago, and received the 2 day response.  I have done 2 cutouts like this since and all have been successful so far

anything