Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapped stores  (Read 2416 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Uncapped stores
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »
First let me say here in central Oklahoma we are in our 26th day out of 27 with temps over 100 degrees and there is no end in sight to the heat wave.  Honey flow stopped several weeks back and while a few bees are coming and going from the hives, many seem to be just sitting and doing nothing. Looks like my queens have slowed way down in the laying department.

My question has to do with uncapped stores.  I have one 8 frame medium in particular that has been completely filled with honey but only half capped off for at least a month. About the top 1/3 to 1/2 of most frames are capped but the bottoms of the frames are all still open (but the cells appear to be full). The honey in the open cells appears to be thick.  I have been waiting to take the box off until all the cells are capped but I am wondering if that is going to happen.  I certainly don't want to leave the box on and risk it being robbed out. I want to extract it.  Suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks. Linda D
linda d

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Uncapped stores
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:26:42 pm »
Turn the uncapped frame sideways and give it a good shake. If none of it comes loose from the cells, its probably ok to extract anyways capped or not. I did this on several of mine and it turned out fine.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:26:02 pm »
Let me say this first with the shake test.  Be careful when doing it.  This is where some of my chunk honey comes from when it breaks out of the frame. 
You can also freeze the frames until fall or next spring.  I do this sometimes.   

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:45 pm »
For me when I check-Shake means, Hold frame by ears, right brisk downward motion with an abrupt stop. The abrupt stop is the key to see if the nectar- honey dislodges from the cells.
Of course a refractometer is the only sure way but from conditions you described you are probably OK.
John 3:16

Offline garys520

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »
I had  10 frames last year that passed the shake test and had a dull glaze over the honey, but after I extracted all of the frames I borrowed a Refractometer and the honey had 22% moisture.  I purchased a Refractometer for myself this season so I won't make that mistake again.   

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »
I am thinking as hot as it has been outside I would think one month of temperatures above 100 surely would have evaporated the moisture out of the honey.
linda d

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:14:30 pm »
are the bees eating the uncapped honey to get them through the dearth?  Just a thought.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:05:56 am »
I imagine that 2X4's at Homo Depo in Connecticut have more moisture in them than air in Oklahoma in a dry hot spell.  I seriously doubt that if it passes the shake test it is not fine.  Carefully shear off enough to half fill a pint jar and see how it runs in the jar.  Compare it to the honey in the store.  I am sure they add water if it is dryer than 18%! If it has less slump than store honey you are OK.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:56:35 am »
>Carefully shear off enough to half fill a pint jar and see how it runs in the jar.  Compare it to the honey in the store.  I am sure they add water if it is dryer than 18%! If it has less slump than store honey you are OK.

:-\  :?

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:05:02 am »
Yeah, I guess I could crush and strain the bottom half/quarter of one of the frames and see if it runs/tastes normal.  I doubt that the girls aren't capping it because they are eating it, though I hadn't thought about that.  There is another super that is about fully capped and plenty of stores in the sides of the 3 brood boxes.
linda d

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:07:08 am »
>Yeah, I guess I could crush and strain the bottom half/quarter of one of the frames and see if it runs/tastes normal.

You think you will be able to determine mositure content by how it runs and taste (Removed Icon). Maybe if it ferments when it is bottle if the moisture happens to be too high, you will be able to taste the difference ;) They call it the begining of mead I belive!

anything