Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Find bee yard locations on craigslist  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Find bee yard locations on craigslist
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:07:42 pm »
If you are trying to find a place to put your bees or are trying to get pollination contracts a good place to post an add is www.craigslist.org. I placed an add looking for a new location for some of my bees and got about 10 responses from farmers and people with land. Most of them were further away then I want to drive to check on the bees but this may be a good way to find locations for the rest of you.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline SystemShark

• House Bee
Re: Find bee yard locations on craigslist
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:20:59 pm »
thats interesting, maybe there are some local farmers near Pittsburgh that wouldn't mind me setting up shop. I've been delaying my hobby because I don't have a house yet..but maybe theres still time to get started this season. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:31:11 pm »
I placed an ad in my local paper, just stating "beekeeper looking for places to place bee hives" and I've had so many responses, I've had to turn them away.  Most of my hives are located on other people's property.  I like having them spread out, giving them more area to forage.

It's nice to know no matter how many hives I have, I'll have plenty of places to place them.

:)

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:58:53 pm »
I to have my three hives on another persons property. It's actually an empty field that a lumber yard recently purchased. The owner said that he has no plans for developing in the future and with the economy being what it is, I'm sure that he won't.

This does bring up an interesting questions though...If I sell honey, make a nice profit, can the owner of the land make a claim on my profit?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:32 am »
I to have my three hives on another persons property. It's actually an empty field that a lumber yard recently purchased. The owner said that he has no plans for developing in the future and with the economy being what it is, I'm sure that he won't.

Sounds like that could work long term.

This does bring up an interesting questions though...If I sell honey, make a nice profit, can the owner of the land make a claim on my profit?

Give him a jar of honey as rental fee and he has not claim.  It's the same idea as the yearly lease of 1 dollar that many government bodies and some businesses participate in--makes it a legal contract (even if oral) and inhibits claim liability.  JMO.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:24:34 am »
DrKurtG.  I think that Brian is right.  AND.....there is no way that he could prove that ALL the honey came from his land.  The bees forage for great distances to get nectar/pollen.  He probably would not be that rude anyways, he would probably just totally love to get some of your honey that he helped to provide the nectar plants by allowing the colonies on his property. Many people in this world are pretty nice and I bet he would appreciate some of that golden delight.  Good luck, have a wonderful and beautiful day, dreamin' of the honey that will come our ways.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:50:45 pm »
Thats great Greg.  I considered posting just such an add on craigslist for more bee yards.  I will have to do that and check out the responses I get with it.

Thanks for the info.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Dr/B

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 04:33:03 pm »

This is also exactly what I do....give a jar of honey....once a year.  In addition, I don't place my bees with anyone that I even suspect might afford me the slightest problem with them.  All of my land owners are super nice people, and very concerned with the current threats to the bee population.  Even if anyone had a claim, how could they prove how much honey you actually produced from those hives on their land?........... very hard to do

:lol:
Steve

Offline DrKurtG

• House Bee
    • My Bee Journal
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:21 pm »
Thank you all for the info. The gentleman who owns the land is very, very nice and I truly do not anticipate problems. When I first approached him about the field, I offered to give him some honey. He accepted. Should not be a worry...

anything