Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive body size ?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
Hive body size ?
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:21:09 pm »
Made a box joint style hive body in a hurry just as a test run. Forgot to check my joints  :-P  lol. They wernt deep enuf. Resulting in the box being just shy of 1/8th inch all around. Will the size increase make the bee space to large on the outside frames & frame ends ? There would be a 1/16th inch more wiggle room than normal. Just dont want to paint the box/start a hive in it. And have the bees make life a pain in the rear for me cus i made the test box to large.

Inside mesurments are 18 1/2- & 14 7/8-ths    - means shy by a 1/32nd givertake

Im going to correct the problem so the rest of the boxes fit better. Like i said this was just a test run if it will come back and bite me in the butt ill just skip it and use it a a temporary hive like for a bee vac or swarm box.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Hive body size ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »
i don't see any problem with the size of the box.just make sure you put the frames tight together and make equal space on the outside of the frames.       .....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:54 pm »
Ok so should not space any frames ? I made a few frames with the plans off this site.   http://www.beeclass.com/dts/beeequipment.htm

I thought i would have to eavenly space these ? If i space them apart a little all 5 fit in cote nuc. But if i dont and push them tight together the nuc almost has enuf room for a 6th frame. Not quiet but close. Its probly just the plans i used. I have a set of plans that dadant uses ill just copy those. Or buy frames there cheap enuf.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:11 pm »
As stated above push them all together in the center. If you space them out you'll have gobs of burr comb between the frames and they'll draw out wild comb on at least some of the foundation. Over a period of time the bees will build up propolis on the end bars and the frames will spread out to fit better in the boxes.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:05:40 am »
OK so pushem all to the middle it is then Thanks

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »
Made some more today and they turned out better. Now all i need is tin to cover the outercover.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
Ok now i just have to paint and add metal to the outer cover.

Btw The plans showed 3/8ths space at the bottom board. Is that enuf or should i flip the board and put larger strips on the other side ?

I was thinking 1 inch so i could make a entrance reducer or use a bordman feeder.

Pics

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »
Those look really good!

The space under the hives on standard bottom boards is 3/4 inches.  What kind of wood is that?
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline twintrades

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 11:26:14 pm »
scrap pine. Had too much blue in it for cabinet work. And i think ill make some bottom boards with 3/4 spacing. Id like to have the option to reduce the entrance.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:32 pm »
I like blue pine, at least when the price is right.  And the bees don't care.