Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive location  (Read 1870 times)

Offline wxton

• New Bee
    • Beagles, Bees and Cloudy Days
Hive location
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:11:35 pm »
I have two hive that are probably 50' feet from a cotton field.  i just moved these hives to there current location last fall.  The previous location was also about 50'-75' from a cotton field but there was a small wooded area between the field and the hives.  The new location does not.  I am concerned about the pesticides being sprayed on the cotton.  i know the bees will not be going to the cotton while they are spraying pesticide but it is (if any) the overspray that I am concerned about.  For those living in areas where cotton is grown in abundance, is there a problem with overspray or is the pesticide pretty much sprayed directly to the plant with not much overspray?   Should I move the hives?  I hadn't really thought about this until yesterday when I saw the farmer out on the next field over planting.  What to do?  What to do?
Hopefully I learned more today than I forgot yesterday!!

Britt

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: Hive location
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:22:17 pm »
Well someone else probably has the ansewer but if not just ask the farmer what he uses to spray.  Then do your homework on the internet.  Also you could always close up the hive during spraying and open them back up the next day. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »
that's what i would do. ask him if he'll let you know when he's going to spray and  with what.  most people are pretty good about it.  you might also ask him how he sprays.  a crop duster might have more over spray than a truck sprayer.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »
There is a strong possibility that the air could move the drift or fumes 50ft to your hives.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 12:16:43 am »
Do they aireal spray?  Cotton gets the really hard chemicals.  The trees could provide enough protection, but aireal spraying can really drift.  Tractor spraying shouldn't be to much problem.  Let them know you have bees there are to watch the wind when spraying.  Most places they will be liable.  If they spray while the blooms are on, you will have to close up the hives for 24 or more hours.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:26:42 am »
Fifteen years ago there were two good ole boys from Mississippi or Louisiana can't recall which but, they were farmers using a chemical called methyl parathion, http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/methylpa.htm

In theory this chemical breaks down rapidly when exposed to the sun. Problem is they decided to use it indoors for the control of roaches among other things.

Doesn't break down indoors and they got into a load of serious trouble as they actually had quite a sideline business going which included at least one school that I can remember, in Louisiana and Mississippi and perhaps Alabama.

Long story short, there were several buildings including this school that had to be "cleaned" from top to bottom, Silkwood style, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086312/

The main use of methyl parathion was for cotton.

As others mentioned, find out what and when the farmer will be spraying, and its effect on your bees.

How many hives are we talking?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wxton

• New Bee
    • Beagles, Bees and Cloudy Days
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:54:10 am »
I know that the farmer will not be using a crop duster for any spraying (pesticide or herbicide).  The field is only about 15-20 acres.  I like where they are because they get good morning sun and then the pines behind them give some shade from the hard afternoon heat but that doesn't mean a thing if they are dead.  I will get my uncle to find out what the farmer will be spraying and do a little research.  I would doubt when the blooms start appearing that they would spray pesticides anymore because they cotton needs pollinating as well.  Don't think they would spray and kill all there beneficial insects at that time of the year...but...I don't grow cotton either.  Thanks for the suggestions!
Hopefully I learned more today than I forgot yesterday!!

Britt

anything