Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello New Bee here from Nassau County Long Island  (Read 1557 times)

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
Hello New Bee here from Nassau County Long Island
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:46 pm »
Hi all
Name here is John, living out here in Mineola NY. Interested in beekeeping and joined the forum to gain some knowledge before I start shelling out my hard earned dollars. I plan on doing a lot of research over the winter and to also purchase some equipment whether new or used I don't know yet. I'm also looking for info as far as obtaining Nucs in the early spring to start a colony or two. Two is probably the most I can maintain on my property which is a 50x100 lot fenced in with a 6 foot fence not only for the bees but also for my 9 year old female Boxer named Dempsey and my 7 month old Great Dane male puppy Nitro who is currently pushing 135#'s.

If any of you could help to steer me in the right direction as far as keeping bees etc.... Pros and Cons welcomed... it would be much appreciated.

Regards
John  :)
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello New Bee here from Nassau County Long Island
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »
Read, read, read, and remember, as 3 beeks a question and you will get 4 right answers.    And the bees will not bother the dogs.   Welcome to the forum.

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:07 pm »
Thank you very much. Yes I was somewhat concerned about the dogs and bees. Probably have more trouble keeping Nitro out of trouble with the bees.

Great Danes are great all around but they are not the sharpest dog out there. Definitely takes after Scooby Doo.!! Now my boxer she is almost human !!!!
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »
My dog don't bother them and the bees don't bother the chickens either.    They scratch around the hives every day.