Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reputable Bee breeders?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline ColeB234

• New Bee
Reputable Bee breeders?
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »
Hello all, I am looking for a reputable Bee breeder whose stock has good traits for the Western NY area, which is a relatively up and down climate, with Winters that can rapidly shift temperature and a summer season that often gets interrupted by Monsoon rainstorms, which could ruin productivity for two or three days. I am doing an order for my local bee club, so they need to have bees available for the early season, it would be best if they offered some sort of shipping on orders, because I don't have a whole lot of gas money, but it definitely needs to be in NY. Thanks for any replies folks, and Happy Beekeeping, Cole.
My Mentors exact words after he inspected my first hive: "When I was growing up, boy stop picking that stinger and listen, I was always told that bees do everything for a reason, so these bees sting you quite a bit, why do you think that is? No, don't bother answering, you'll get it wrong, it's because they hate ya! Boy I'll tell ya, I have never seen such hateful batch of bees, usually they love me, some say it's because I'm such a sweet old man. But these girls, oh mama, they are the nastiest bunch of stinging insects I have ever had the displeasure of acquainting myself with, you aught to take a blowtorch to 'em, that's the only thing that'll keep 'em from being so mean, they can't be mean when they're dead!" We inspected the hive, he's used to doing everything without a veil, and he was somewhat shocked when he got stung on his right cheek. That was the funniest face I have ever seen a man make, though the cussing that followed was pretty funny too. ;)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Reputable Bee breeders?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:19 pm »
Try these folks........

http://www.nsqba.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ColeB234

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »
Thanks, I'll check them out.
My Mentors exact words after he inspected my first hive: "When I was growing up, boy stop picking that stinger and listen, I was always told that bees do everything for a reason, so these bees sting you quite a bit, why do you think that is? No, don't bother answering, you'll get it wrong, it's because they hate ya! Boy I'll tell ya, I have never seen such hateful batch of bees, usually they love me, some say it's because I'm such a sweet old man. But these girls, oh mama, they are the nastiest bunch of stinging insects I have ever had the displeasure of acquainting myself with, you aught to take a blowtorch to 'em, that's the only thing that'll keep 'em from being so mean, they can't be mean when they're dead!" We inspected the hive, he's used to doing everything without a veil, and he was somewhat shocked when he got stung on his right cheek. That was the funniest face I have ever seen a man make, though the cussing that followed was pretty funny too. ;)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:31:11 am »
Try these folks........

I wish I had that link last spring... At least I have it for next year.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline thewhiterhino

• House Bee
  • Bee Happy - Ross Knittel
    • pueblo bee rescue
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:19:23 am »
Try these folks........

Thanks iddee, there is even a Colorado breeder listed which will help me a lot.
Ross
If it was easy, everyone would do it....
pueblo-bee-rescue.com

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »
Thanks Iddee,
I am very surprised there are not more recommendations to this topic.

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »
Try this guy,   http://www.coldcountryqueens.com/to-order.html   about as local as you get around here. I cant attest to his reputation, as i have never bought from him. I buy Italians from here: http://www.draperbee.com/. An easy 2 1/2 hour drive from me. Good people. there is another one that sells nucs in Catt county, a friend has bought from him and was happy. If i can find his name I'll post it.

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 07:48:25 pm »

Offline ColeB234

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 08:16:15 pm »
Thank you, he looks like a good breeder, and someone I would be interested to do business with.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:29:27 pm »
Those are some great references for the New York area, and I could probably use them.  I'd like to hear from some southwest Ohio or southeast Indiana beeks who like the local breeders.

anything