Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Normal Bee Behavior?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:44:17 pm »
Hey everyone, so i started feeding my bees 2 days ago because all of the sudden our nights started to get cold..

Im using about 2 to 1 solution maybe little less than 2, but somewhere around there..

Both Hives finish the sugar suryp in one day... Every mourning i wake up and check up on them, and they are already done.... I keep on feeding them... Is this normal?  SHould i keep feeding them? and For how long?

Offline mat

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 02:01:03 pm »
Absolutely normal. Your bees should have about 60-70 # of capped honey/sugar per hive. Check how much you have now and calculate how much more they need. From one galon of 2:1 sirup you'll have about 7# of capped sugar honey.
mat

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:13:09 pm »
so i should go in and check up on them? should i remove any empty supers?

First hive, i have 2 shallow Supers

Second hive i only have one Deep super

Offline mat

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:26:34 pm »
I think you should live just deep supers. Two or three. I red that they winterise better on three deeps. It was in Minesota, they have winter. This way there is plenty of room for food and for queen. I don't have enough combs so I have one hive on three deeps and the other two deeps and two shallow supers insted of third deep.
mat

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 03:11:22 pm »
Over the holiday my bees were taking a quart each in the AM and then I would have to put another quart in the PM.  I think I've been through at least 5 gallons of syrup since I started feeding again.  Granted they were starving and replentishing, but they have been on this pace now for a week.  Give them as much as they take.  It will just get them more prepared for the winter.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 03:14:23 pm »
again bassman thanx alot :) lol you are quick with responses and great help..

ok, can you tell me how they make honey? lol

do they use the sugar suryp to make honey?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:18:32 pm »
They are just going to store the sugar syrup.  That's a reason not to feed too long in the spring/summer if you don't have to.  If you were to extract, you could have a lot of sugar syrup mix in with your good honey.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 04:49:18 pm »
Ocean -  

What type of feeder are you using and how much (liquid volume) are you giving them each day?  A cup, A pint, A gallon?
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Normal Bee Behavior?
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 04:19:47 pm »
iam using a regular entrance feeder and they go through a bottle in one day...

i've been away for this weekend, and my mom told me that they finished the sugar suryp and now are flying everywhere, like crazy looking ig uess for more food.. so iam heading back home to feed them more sugar syrup.... and iam using about 2 to 1 solution maybe little less than 2