Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The air conditioning is not working.  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
The air conditioning is not working.
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:45 pm »

It has been a hot day.The latest swarm catch was put into a commercial box in a hurry but there is not enough ventilation through the bottom entrance.

[IMG]http://img1
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: The air conditioning is not working.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:37 pm »
Those bees need a top entrance.  :-D

How do you manage to have such green grass in the middle of a drought?  ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:37:48 pm »
now we know where the water has been going. :evil:  nice shot geoff, it looks like things are off to a great start.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »
Don't know what your set up is but if you're not using a sbb I would. I would also raise the hive up some, maybe up on some cinder blocks. This would allow some airflow underneath, and would perhaps even help combat undesirable insects.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:07:15 am »
Geoff, I can't quite see in the picture, what is in the half super above the inner cover?  More bees?  Can you define further what you have done here, I am curious.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:52:19 am »
G'day Cindi,
                The small super is for honey, they call them Ideals. Even though it is only a matter of a few weeks since I captured the swarm they have virtually filled the brood box. They are a very different bee to all my other hives, much smaller and very dark colored but to date have been very calm to work with. It was a rush job at the time as I had no spare brood boxes so bought this one but the bottom entrance is only about 1/4 the size it should be so before the next spell of hot weather I will fit them out with a different floor and modify the one in use at present.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 06:50:57 pm »
Hey Buddy
wild bees on natural comb can be alot smaller.I find the smaller bees start working earlier and work later.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:58:57 pm »
Not sure they have wild bees in austraila other then the escapees that were brought to the island.