Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Praying Mantis and Bee video  (Read 2354 times)

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Praying Mantis and Bee video
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:51:01 pm »
Shot this over a month ago, but fall had been very busy and was only able to edit and upload it now.  Was walking by our hives here in our yard before I left to go to one of our other beeyards and noticed something hanging from the front of the landing board on one of our hives.  A praying mantis had caught a bee.

It's not exactly a video you can "enjoy" as a beekeeper.  Maybe I should rate it PG-13 for scenes of graphic insect violence, but to me it sure is fascinating to see.  (Obviously, or I wouldn't have filmed 8 minutes of it to edit down.  Not sure what that says about me?) 

If you look closely in the first several seconds the mantis can be seen chewing on an antenna and you can see the bee's stinger moving.  I hate having to format these videos to upload because they lose so much of the original avi. quality.  If there's anyone out there more experienced that has any suggestions to help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Two links, one to Zunibee and the other to YouTube.

http://www.zunibee.com/community/viewVideo.php?fileID=61

http://www.youtube.com/user/acbees

Arvin
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Praying Mantis and Bee video
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:29:19 pm »
Arvin, you did a great job of some videography.  The viewing was clearer, like you said, when you moved a little bit and more light came into the viewfinder.  Yea!!!!  That was quite a visual, thank you for taking the time to share this part of your world with us.  Great and wonderful day and life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
Re: Praying Mantis and Bee video
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:54:29 am »
That was awesome

Thanks
Tai