Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chicken identification  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Chicken identification
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:04:47 pm »
I have been trying to identify the breed of this chicken and rooster, but I can't seem to find them on breed sites.  Maybe they are mutts, hee, hee.  The first hen is a big bird, she has like a dark grey beard and has a very fluffy neck feathers.  The second is a rooster, he is smaller than the Barred Rock, but kind of looks the same, but has a double comb, which looks funny.  Any guesses on what these are:  Have a beautiful and great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Chicken identification
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:26:19 pm »
The one on top is an Araucana.  The bottom left is a barred rock.  The bottom right, kind of looks like a rose comb on it, which probably makes it a barred wyandotte.  If it's not a rose comb, (as it seems to be) then it's probably a barred rock.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:59:35 am »
The one on top is an Araucana.  The bottom left is a barred rock.  The bottom right, kind of looks like a rose comb on it, which probably makes it a barred wyandotte.  If it's not a rose comb, (as it seems to be) then it's probably a barred rock.

Michael, I have no clue what you mean when you say a rose comb, does that depict colour or shape?  If it is shape, then maybe because the comb is double and very frilly looking.  This rooster is smaller than the Barred Rock hens we have, by about 1/3.

I love to get responses to my querries, it is thrilling to hear what people say, thank you. 

I am studying about chickens and I really want to get deeper into breeding.  I love this Araucana chicken.  She is very friendly and she is so big.....she is my friend.....she is a tough girl and feeds readily from my hand.  I like that, so I am encouraging our relationship (hee, hee, imagine that, now I am friends to the chickens, too, along with the bees that love me so much, hee hee)  :roll: ;) :) :)  I am off to check out Araucana chickens to see what they look like and the Barred Wyandotte.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, greatest of health.  Cind
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 10:51:40 am »
So I have been looking up the Araucana chicken.  It would appear the hen that I have is definitely one, she is not laying eggs, yet.  I have no clue of her age.  She looks the same as the chicken on this site.  The picture was in the section on the Easter Egg chicken.  I hope she will begin laying, the eggs can be in shade of blues and other similar colours.  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  Cindi

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Arau/BRKAraucanas.html

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:12 pm »
The only chicken I recognize.

I am not sure what breed it is but I know it's tasty.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:23 pm »
Michael, looked up Barred Wyandotte, that is in the Banty family, that would be why he is only 2/3 the size of the Barred Rock, and yes, I am pretty sure that is what he is.  He is a cool little dude, but what a strange rooster call he makes, it makes me laugh.  Have a wonderful night and day.  Cindi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:07:52 am »
>Michael, I have no clue what you mean when you say a rose comb, does that depict colour or shape?

Shape.

>  If it is shape, then maybe because the comb is double and very frilly looking.

Rose comb.

>  This rooster is smaller than the Barred Rock hens we have, by about 1/3.

Could be a smaller breed or a cross with a banty.

>I love this Araucana chicken.  She is very friendly and she is so big.....she is my friend.....she is a tough girl and feeds readily from my hand.

I started out here in my current location with about 30 or so chickens of all kinds of breeds.  Now only the Araucanas are left.

>  I like that, so I am encouraging our relationship (hee, hee, imagine that, now I am friends to the chickens

I try not to make friends with my dinner, so I haven't made friends with the chickens, but I know people who do and they can be quite affectionate.

> along with the bees that love me so much, hee hee)

Bees?  You're right to wink.  :)

> looked up Barred Wyandotte, that is in the Banty family

Some are, and some aren't.  There are both banty and full sized one.  The full sized ones would be the same size as a rock.

> that would be why he is only 2/3 the size of the Barred Rock, and yes, I am pretty sure that is what he is.

Then he's more likely a cross between a full size one and some kind of smaller chicken or banty.

> He is a cool little dude, but what a strange rooster call he makes, it makes me laugh.

Sometimes those little ones are pretty tough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:52 am »
Cindi,

I too had Araucana chickens when I first moved to Oregon.  The roosters were the best in temperment I ever saw or had -- they were almost regal.  Didn't get mean and fussy and try to spur you when you went into the yard.  They were good with the girls too. Hope your day is going well.

Corinne 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:04 am »
We are going to be getting more stock after the holiday season, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the Araucana is going to be one that we will have several of.  AND...the bonus is the coloured eggs, that would be such a novelty for the kids here.  Yea!!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, gotta love this life we live.  Cindi

anything