Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flower Pictures  (Read 13477 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Flower Pictures
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:15:13 am »
Finally got some plants my bees like. Nepeta x faassenii (catmint).

Other Flowers

Lepeta

When more blooms I may add some.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Flower Pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:06 pm »
what zones will catmint grow in?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:37:45 am »
Catmint, Nepeta faassenii - Zones 3-10

Catmint is a beautiful ground cover with light, grayish-green leaves. Throughout the summer it displays an abundance of soft blue flowers. If the plant is cut back when it is finished flowering, it will produce new blooms. Since catmint is a member of the mint family, it also attracts bees, which help pollinate garden vegetables.

Brendhan I hope this helps you out.
Have a great day

James Shoemaker
Pondman

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:19:20 am »
Thanks, I was using mammoth sunflowers.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:49:34 pm »
What pretty flowers!  Great job taking the pics for us!

I have a patch of chocolate mint here that just started flowering.  Of course the girls are all over it.  I love mint, all it needs is some water and it reseeds and regrows every spring.  It's so handy for making drinks and cooking too.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:31 pm »

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 02:05:23 pm »
Gladiolus

Butterfly Bush (Dark Knight)

Sunflower-ish plant (some sort of bulb plant)

Ironweed?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:10:55 pm »
Thanks, I was using mammoth sunflowers.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

How did you do with the sunflowers??? I have some mammoth ones just starting to flower and was wondering how the bees did on this. You do not sound to happy????

Thanks
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:38 pm »
MrILoveTheAnts.  What incredibly beautiful and breathtaking pictures.  I love to get up and close and personal with flower picture taking too.  I will be posting some eventually.  Keep those pictures coming on!!!  It will brighten up any old day.

Annette.  I think that bees love all sunflower.  I grow several species and they are always full of bees.  Sunflowers are majestic and one of the most beautiful flowers I can think of.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:53:26 am »
My bees have been given directions and they are on there way over to your buffet! Nice pics. The bees were all over my lavender this year too! Love the gladiola pic. So soft and well lit. Great composition!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 07:01:30 am »
MrILoveTheAnts, your yellow bulb plant-sunflower is a dahlia of some sort.  Gorgeous pictures!

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:14:32 am »
Bees and Flowers from Slovenia. I am sorry but I really don't know what kind of flowers are those. They are around our house and mother-in-law is taking care of them :D

This one is my favorite :)

You can check some photos of my bees and hive on website in my signature.

Enjoy

Offline Misko

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:20:41 am »
The last picture is a winner  :-D
Sory for my bad english.

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 11:33:51 am »
It is my favorite hehe :D

This was taken at 5am or couple of minutes later in the morning. I was surprised to see all the bees coming in with pollen this early....

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 12:26:56 pm »
TOPSBARLO-

Great pics too. Your bees look different than my italian hygenics. What type of honetbees are they?

Offline topbarslo

• New Bee
    • Public domain photos
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »
TOPSBARLO-

Great pics too. Your bees look different than my italian hygenics. What type of honetbees are they?

Hi

Those are Carniolan bees :)

Here is some more info from wikipedia !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carniolan_honeybee

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 02:56:15 pm »
MrILoveTheAnts, your yellow bulb plant-sunflower is a dahlia of some sort.  Gorgeous pictures!

It seems I have two of those Dahlia plants but they look nothing alike. Thank you for the identification.

More Photos!

Purple Cone Flower

Sun Flower with a cute little green eyed bee on it. Awww

Some sort of mud wasp on Raspberries flowers. Not exactly a flower picture but the green went with the color scheme.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:37 pm »
what camera are you using? Looks great. Love the wasp upside down.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 10:08:55 pm »
It's just an Olympus SP 510UZ, 7.1 MP, 10x zoom, 2.5 LCD (whatever that is). Also it has a Super Macro feature for close up shots. It's good for honey bee shots but anything smaller starts to get fuzzy.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 10:06:45 am »
Beautiful pictures, guys.  Love it when pictures are posted and we are taken into your part of our world.  Beautiful, keep 'em comin' on.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 12:11:04 am »
Sedum!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 11:17:57 am »
MrILoveTheAnts.  Some very beautiful pictures.  I love to see the pictures when they come up looking so large actually.  My sedum is just beginning to come into bloom too, different species though.  I will take pictures.  I have never noticed many bees on mine though, weird, maybe this year.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful day of this life.  Cindi

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »
The ones there are called BlackJack. It's one of the ones with black/purple leaves. I have a green one too called Sedum spectabile or Autumn Joy but the bees aren't on it much. They were at the store though, I guess the bees just haven't found it yet.
Bumble bees were on it the second day I planted the thing. Various moths, flies, ants (Formica), butterflies, and other small bees were on it by day three. Honey bees were sort of on it the third day but it was just one and nothing else for the day. Day four and five it was covered in butterflies (the ones pictured above) with more and more honey bees coming every day. Between the two black ones there are almost always at least 4 honey bees on it. The autumn joy, however, has trouble even keeping the bumble bees on it.

I really like these plants, and they come in all sorts of shapes and forms. Some are moss like and crawl along the ground.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 01:50:47 am »
MrILoveThe Ants.  Right, my is the Autumn Joy cultivar of the Sedum, narry a bee.  I have been out gathering seeds of the Fireweed and another that I don't know the name of, but I am doing an investigation.  Where I was gathering the seed is about 1 km from my home, across from the school that all the young children here go to.  I saw Italian and Carniolan bees on this forage, (not the fireweed, it is going to seed, but the other, not sure what it is yet, but was so covered in bees).  I am positive that this my girls, foraging, I have one Carniolan colony and several of the Italian.  Yes, it was a beautiful sight to see.  I will be identifying the enormous shrub that they were working so hard.  I took some cuttings of this subshrub (I think) and will see if it will be something that I can grow on my property.  I belong to a gardening forum and I will put the photo on this site soon.  Have a wonderful day, best of our beautiful life. Cindi

By the way, keep the pictures coming on, you are an excellent photographer.  C

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 04:16:43 pm »
Goldenrod, actually an unusually tall goldenrod. This one started growing with a butterfly bush I bought and I assumed it was part of the plant until it grew 7 feet tall. I thought it was just another weed but now I think I'd sooner get rid of the butterfly bush it came with. Wild goldenrod seems to only grow 4 feet tall. I wonder if this is a different species or if full sun, fertilizer, and proper watering have caused it to grow twice as big.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 06:55:56 pm »
Just recently planted cat nip and found bees onthem in a couple of days. Everyone has great pictures posted.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:20 pm »

Another pic of the goldenrod.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »
MrILovetheAnts.  I meant to comment.  That fuzzy little bee in your first picture looks just like my cute little fuzzy fat Carniolan.  I wonder if they are relatives? 

Those are beauties of pictures that you have posted.  I love (and I mean love dearly) all the pictures of the bees that we get to see up close and personal, yeah!!!!!  Yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on our planet Earth.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:10:14 am »
There is a variety of goldenrod calleld 'Fireworks' that's tall like that.  I've got a new planting of it out in the backyard by the bees.  I love goldenrod and let it come up wherever it wants to, within reason.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 02:58:19 pm »
I think I'm calling it quits with getting it ID'd. They seem to either grow as a long stalk or as a bush and besides that they all pretty much look the same. Flowers might look a little different on some. I looked up some species native to NJ and googled them. Depending on what garden site you go to they look different and have different height. There doesn't seem to be any standard.  :-\

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 11:38:18 am »
this is just ice but it looks like flowers. it was taken in north louisiana. i think it is kind of rare to see this. i think it is from moist air coming out of the ground.

if you can explain this ice let us know
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 03:58:37 pm »
Papabear.  Those are magnificent looking pictures, how on earth can the ice make such beautiful designs, I couldn't stop looking at the pictures.  I can't wait for someone who may know exactly how these were formed, I can bet your bottom dollar someone will have an excellent answer.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, greatest of health to all.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 04:16:44 pm »
this is just ice but it looks like flowers. it was taken in north louisiana. i think it is kind of rare to see this. i think it is from moist air coming out of the ground.

if you can explain this ice let us know

Papabear, I've posted your URLs in a binary weather newsgroup, I'll let you know what they say.  Fascinating photos!

Edited to add:  Papabear, they're called Frost Flowers.  Put that into Google and you'll get all sorts of links.  Here are a couple I found interesting:

Frost Flowers with explanation and pictures.

Frost Flowers in the Ozarks.

Frost Flowers in Texas.

They aren't formed by moisture coming up out of the ground, rather they're from water being 'pushed' out of a stem by freezing temperatures.  What an interesting find!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 10:49:47 am »
Ann, beautiful research.  Upon perusing these sites, I remember that I have seen something like that at my place when we sometimes have deep freezing (rarely).  But what weird stuff I see usually comes on branches of certain small trees.  I will take note this year if we get some freeze and take pictures.  I think I could get some neat pics going on too. 

I loved those frost flowers, Nature's beauties.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, greatest of health.  Cindi

Offline papabear

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 10:37:25 am »
Thanks for the info
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 02:20:50 pm »
great pictures. i have not seen any as pretty here, but i have similar.  it usually happens when we have had a lot of rain, or there are still green things out there.  then the hard freeze comes and, as cindi said, the moisture is pushed out and frozen.  i also get great ice sticking up out of the ground.  it looks like stalagmites in the dirt.  we have them this morning.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 12:05:06 am »
Kathy, do you have a digital camera that you could show us some of your place/area, I would love to see those dirt icicles!!!!  Sounds so cool, beautiful day, great life.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 02:27:03 pm »
could have done it this AM if i'd gotten this in time.  it was 26 degrees.  usually i bundle up and stagger out to the barn before light.  it's a bit of a hike and all i think about is getting back to the house for coffee  :-).  i'll try to remember next cold snap. i think it's supposed to warm a bit and rain.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline egehan

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 01:50:11 pm »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:06 am »
Egehan.  Wow, you got some really nice pictures going on there!!!!  That bee looks like she is having the time of her life, holy smokers!!!!  Beautiful day, beautiful life.  Cindi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 05:57:27 pm »
those look better than ice!!!!!  snow tonight!!!!