Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Garlic & Onion curing where supers are stored ..  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Wayne Miles

• New Bee
Garlic & Onion curing where supers are stored ..
« on: August 17, 2005, 03:52:51 pm »
After the garlic and onions are cured, I store them in the same shed that I now use to store my supers. If that aroma gets into the drawn comb, will the Bee's refuse to use it.

First year BeeKeeper, long time Garlic grower.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:08:50 pm »
Good question. I wouldn't think so. People use PDB when storing supers and put them back on the hives without problems in the Spring after airing them out.  

Perhaps by the time you've gotten rid of your onions and garlic in the spring, the odor, if it gets in the wax, will have dissipated.

I would be interested to hear someone else's opinion, as this is exactly what I am doing as well.

Offline Wayne Miles

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 08:42:46 am »
Amy, I posted a plea for help on Garden Web Allium fourm,  There has been no response there.  

We may just have to 'wing it'.  There is only one shed so I don't have a lot of options.  Additionally I have an electric smoker that I use inside the shed, I smoke pork shoulders, Boston Butts, etc, I figured the smoker would be ok as the bees deal with smoke when I work them.  Here is a link to the Allium forum.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/allium/

The post is entitled 'Beekeeping & Garlics wonderful Aroma'

Wayne

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 11:56:31 pm »
Thanks for the update Wayne, I am a regular over there, so I'll keep an eye out.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Garlic & Onion curing where supers are stored ..
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:29:01 am »
After the garlic and onions are cured, I store them in the same shed that I now use to store my supers. If that aroma gets into the drawn comb, will the Bee's refuse to use it.

First year BeeKeeper, long time Garlic grower.

I was surfing posts and came across this one.  I believe that garlic will not affect the bees intention to work the combs.  There was a suggestion by our instructor in a bee seminar that I was taking that in the summer many people use icing sugar mixed with garlic powder using a flour sifter for spreading this concoction over the frames for the varroa mite smother.  He said that it seemed that the bees did not mind the garlic one little bit.  Why he said to mix garlic with sugar is beyond me.  But that was a recommendation.  So, I think that the bees will still work the comb.  Anyone else heard about garlic powder in the icing sugar shake?  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:35:58 am »
around here, garlic is used by some beeks, to feed the bees. supposed to help them during longer periods of time when they can't fly out-during winter. i used it once, they took up that garlic-scented syrup in no time. so, no, it should not have a negative effect. neither the onions, i guess

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:40:42 pm »
It's bound to smell better and be healthier than PDB.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything