Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when is the "end" of swarm season  (Read 1926 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
when is the "end" of swarm season
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:01:23 pm »
I've been trying my best to deter bees from swarming.  Really working hard at keeping the brood nests open like I've read/learned.  2 swarmed already, but crummy weather was kept me out of the hives for over a week at one point.  2 hives already swarmed, but remaining 3 I opened brood up again to give more space, etc.  The remaining hives from those that swarmed, were quite weak, so I combined a few days later and seems to be doing well.  Just hoping queens emerge, mate and start laying. 

Our main flow starts May 1st.  Will I need to continue to worry about swarming during the heavy flow...or will they begin storing in earnest and not have the usual tendancy to swarm?

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: when is the "end" of swarm season
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:00:53 pm »
The tendency to swarm if they are crowded never stops, but the tendency to reproductive swarming runs until the main flow.  Once the main flow hits you can usually just pile on supers to keep them from swarming.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:47:44 pm »
It this dang cool/cold weather will leave maybe we can get into so serious flows.  Last night, we had temps bordering on the ole freezing mark.

I know, I know, you guys/gals above Virginia are saying....."Cry me a river!"

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »
Virginia!  Try PA!   :evil: :evil: :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »
va.   is good
your frend   hardtime

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply Michael.  I thought that was the case, but wanted to check with those more experienced.  Anymore, I'm ignoring what is in my books...seems to be the opposite of my own experiences most of the time.

Two Bees,  we had some lows temps here this week too.  Just above freezing (actually, some leaves on my hydrangeas got a bit frozen).  I hope this is the last of the freezing temps here, allowing us to bank on a good flow.  My first year we got a heavy frost on April 1, hurting our flow.  Then the drought.  Things are looking up for this year!
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.