Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The hole in the inner cover  (Read 5751 times)

Offline cundald

• House Bee
The hole in the inner cover
« on: June 27, 2009, 02:59:20 pm »
I am making new inner covers for some of my hives.

Other then the bee escape is made for it, is there any reason that the hole in the inner cover is that shape and size?

Is there any better shape to use and/or better location?

Cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
Re: The hole in the inner cover
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:39:38 pm »
I know Ross Conrad puts two 1 1/4" holes for pail/jar feeders.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »
>Other then the bee escape is made for it, is there any reason that the hole in the inner cover is that shape and size?

You nailed it.  It's for a porter bee escape.

>Is there any better shape to use and/or better location?

Yes, the size of a quart jar lid...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:09:39 am »
>Other then the bee escape is made for it, is there any reason that the hole in the inner cover is that shape and size?

You nailed it.  It's for a porter bee escape.

>Is there any better shape to use and/or better location?

Yes, the size of a quart jar lid...

Thank You!

Based on your information, I will making the hole 3 inch in diameter,
the size that best fits the large mouth, one quart jars that I use for feeding.

Cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »
That's what I have done on all the inner covers I've made (I don't use them anymore).  I also put #8 hardware cloth on the bottom side so I can remove the jar and refill without any bees stuck to the jar lid and none flying out.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:32:32 pm »
Is there any reason that the hole is in the middle of the cover?  I don't use it for feeding and am toying with a hive cover design that would incorporate an upper entrance in the front of cover.  It would be nice to have an inner cover with a 1x1 square removed from the front so that the bees can climb directly up or down to the entrance/hive.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 07:32:39 pm »
Its for a bee escape, a porter bee escape is used to get the bees to move down so you can collect the honey.
Not that everyone uses them so its not a necessity.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:51:42 am »
Quote from: MEdmonson
Robo,
  Would you be so kind as to give the dimensions of your inner cover using luan i.e. thickness of luan, trim size, etc.

I call it 1/4" luan,  but I think it is a tad thinner.   I make the trim 5/8" thick and 3/4" wide.  I cut a groove in the middle of the 5/8" to slide over the luan,  that gives ~3/8" space on both sides of the inner cover.

I also cut 2 oval holes (normal porter bee escape size), about 4 or 5 inches apart in the center, but perpendicular to the frames as opposed to parallel with the frames as will most commercial inner covers.   My theory is that it allows for better ventilation,  allows bees to access from more than just the center frames, and allows for 2 -  gallon jar feeders.

Note: The pictures I attached in the earlier post is from a DE hive, not the ones I build.  I put the 2 holes in the center.

I  like Rodo inner covers and theory

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:23:12 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:29:27 am »
That's what I have done on all the inner covers I've made (I don't use them anymore).  I also put #8 hardware cloth on the bottom side so I can remove the jar and refill without any bees stuck to the jar lid and none flying out.  :)

If you cover the whole with hardware cloth, does that open the door to ants and/or SHB to set-up house were the bee cannot get to them.

cundald
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 12:10:58 pm »
Yes it does,  but so does cutting the holes to fit jar lid.   Anytime you prevent the bees access to a space, all kinds of creatures will take up residence.   I either slide the jar to one side of the hole and leave an access crack,  or place the jar on 2 3/8" shims.  You can kind of see the propolis tracks from the shims in the picture.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Pwrbait

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »
There is a local beek here who puts cardboard over all of his inner covers.  I can't nail him down on a reason though.  He just says he's always done it that way, but from what I noticed, he has LOTS of earwigs running around in his hives.  Any reason for the cardboard you can think of?  He uses it 365.
Chris

anything