Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wilma Worries  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Wilma Worries
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:54:35 am »
Everyone here knows that Florida last year was battered by Charley, Francis, Jean and Ivan, right?  Well so far this year there've been Katrina (as a tropical storm) and soon to be Wilma.  I know a few beekeepers in Naples, now in the direct path of the storm, who were hit last year with Charley.  Anyways, I just wanted to comment with regards to that post I made in early June or late May (I don't remember.)  Anyways, thanks for all the help with hurricane prep. ideas, they're comming in handy right now.  The winds here are expected to be sustained at 40+ MPH and with gusts of 60 MPH.  I've tied down the two hives but, we'll see how they fair with flooding and wind damage.  I'll let you know after it passes.

manowar422

Wilma Worries
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:36:33 pm »
Nathan,

I know I speak for all of us here on the forum by saying
we hold you and your family in our thoughts, and hope
all is well as you get through Wilma.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that all of South Florida
weathers the storm with as little loss as possible.

Let us know how you are ASAP :)

David

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Wilma Worries
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:27:57 pm »
The internet was down for a few days so I just got back on line today.  Both of my hives got through just fine, I didn't lose a super or anything!  The winds did get up to gusts of 60 MPH at about 5:00am Monday and the power was flickering.  The block next to us and the blocks a few miles down lost power in the moring but, it was restored in the afternoon.  There are a few branches down, a few puddles here and there but, in general, there wasn't really any damage in this county.  Stangely enough, a few hours after the storm passes the temperature dropped from the mid eightys to what it is now, in the mid to upper 60s.  We really lucked out over here given we were in the cone up until the last three hours before landfall.  This was no where near as bad as when Francis came through just 20 miles north of us.  After that we didn't have power for a week and a half and running water for two days.  So...I'll concider myself fortunate.

anything