Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium Frame Plans  (Read 4673 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Medium Frame Plans
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:20:25 pm »
Does anyone have plans for building medium frames?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Medium Frame Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:25:14 pm »
Nevermind.  I found this on a Mr. Bush post (after 2 hours of searching).  Thanks.

http://www.beesource.com/plans/dadantfr.pdf
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:42:12 pm »
i built 40 frames once -- then i found out how cheap they are and how much time it took to build those things with set up and all -- that was the end of that-- and i love to work with wood
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:40:53 pm »
i built 40 frames once -- then i found out how cheap they are and how much time it took to build those things with set up and all -- that was the end of that-- and i love to work with wood

Yeah, after studying the plans it seemed to me that they were more trouble than what they are worth, so I am not going to bother.  Still...I am in need of over 850 frames and at 55 cents a pop (not including shipping) that's a lot.  I am still making out though since I am building my own boxes at least.  I figure to save a heap being able to make 2 1/2 medium boxes at 5 bucks a pop.  It took me about 20 minutes to make one.  I'm not complaining.   :-D

On another note, I made the 1 1/4 inch top bars for my Kenyan Top Bar Hive.  I am going off of Mr. Bush's design from his website.  The only thing I am doing differently is, instead of using the triangles, I am cutting slots in the center of the bar in order to attach starter strips to it like that.  They came out real nice.  I have to pick up some more lumber in a week or two and to finish these projects.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:25:10 am »
wow   :shock:  850-- i wonder how long that would take  :-\
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:30:40 am »
wow     850-- i wonder how long that would take

Good question.  Just assembling the frames will take a good while, let alone if I actually decided to make them from scratch, on top of it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:46 pm »
If I were making them from scratch, I'd make the top bars 1/8" skinnier and the end bars 1/8" skinnier.  You get correct spacing and 11 frames in a ten frame box...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:05 pm »
If I were making them from scratch, I'd make the top bars 1/8" skinnier and the end bars 1/8" skinnier.  You get correct spacing and 11 frames in a ten frame box...

I definately agree with that.  I also considered making the boxes a little bit thinner so the 11 frames weren't so tight.  The outside dimentions would remain the same.  Ever consider anything like that?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:54:05 am »
>Ever consider anything like that?

I need all the insulation I can get.  I have considered making them out of two bys to make them thicker...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:22:50 am »
To this point I have made maybe two dozen hive boxes and the frames to fill them.  I have a hard time imagining making 850 frames at once.  It gets monotonous cutting out 50 at a time.  The top and bottom bar machining is pretty straightforward but it would take me several evenings.  It's the 1700 side parts that would drive me bananas.  After you rip the 850 pieces of lumber, bevel one side 1700 times and make jigs to cut 3400 slots top and bottom you will stand at your router table for another week cutting the material off the sides 3400 times.

I don't know that they are more trouble than they are worth but at that scale I might rather spend the $558 to buy 900 frames.  However, if I am short by only a couple of boxes and have a weekend to spare I'll be making sawdust in the garage.  Plus, as Mr. Bush says, it allows opportunity for experimentation and possibly improvement.

...boxes out of 2x lumber?  Maybe for an overwintered nuc.  I happen to have a few boards of southern yellow pine laying around...

anything