Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to feed in the fall??  (Read 12426 times)

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: What to feed in the fall??
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:49 am »
Back to the topic people.....

[...depends upon if the bees have gathered enough pollen....]
Absolutely true.

[...in the spring that the bees really rely heavily upon pollen...with mass brood rearing.]
Absolutely true.

[The bees require pollen as a nutrient to live.]
Regarding winter...
More specifically, there are fats in pollen that aid in insulating bees for the winter.
These fat store also tend to increase the minimal immune system bees have.
So it could be said that the fat helps to ward off winter sickness too.

In spring, the protein is associated with brood rearing.
It should also be considered as necessary for rearing drones for healthy mating for spring queens.
Likewise, it can be fed later in the year in attemp to retain drones longer for later summer queens.

The area of dispute is one that neither side can really win.
The question is "Can a suppliment/replacer equal the nutrition found in nature?"
(it really should be can it support nutrition found in nature)

One arguement is that nature supplies what is needed (tell that to people in the desert).
But different pollen has different mineral/vitamin/fat values.
So hopes are that enough variety is collected to hit all the base values needed.
However, man like to swap combs around and extract honey and force extra brood rearing.
These all cause what we might construe to be more than natural draws on stores.
Bees do work hard to compensate for these losses. But that effort is a stress too.
And once a pollen is lost or washed out by rain, it sometimes doesn't return.

The other arguement is man is smart enough to establish a minimal diet.
While we might not be as complete as a variety of pollen, we are likely better than a single source.
And if you combine that with regular normal forage, there is a fair chance that a diet could be more complete than a gathered diet alone.
There is the arguement, and I know there is this study and that study that state that artifical diets lead to a shorter life span in the bees. (I don't trust studies as they can be slanted however anyone wants an outcome to appear)(and repeated lies, repeated enough, become construed as truth).

Well... lets think about this:

When is a bee's life normally shorter? Summer.
So what is more plentiful in the summer? Pollen and nectar.
Ah, so pollen and nectar (or its replacement) signal to the bees that its summer (or near it).
This messes with hormone levels that regulate the age of the bees.
So while as shorter life might be more pronounced with a good quality replacer, it may be actually signaling that the diet is more complete (like in summer) than with a single pollen variety (spring or fall).

The real trick is when to feed pollen.
You don't want to disrupt natural collection, you want to support it.
You don't want to extend the support too long because the bees construe it to a longer or new season.
So there is a window of operation, unfortunately that varies by region.

I also don't believe that everyone stores pollen the same. There are a number of nutrients that degrade with time, temperature, and increases/decreases in humidity. So just because it is 'real pollen' doesn't mean its 'really healthy pollen'.

You can see where opinions get to be a bit like religion here.
Eventually you will see results that cause you to build and accept your own doctrine as gospel.
That's all fine and good, because if we all kept bees the same, a single disease could wipe out everyone.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:04 pm »
ArmucheeBee mentioned using a pollen patty in an SHB trap. Here in the south I learned first hand a hard lesson about leaving excess patties on and attracting SHB. I never thought as using them for SHB bait.
Does anyone know anything about this method?

To SHB a pollen patty means party time and they crash the gate big time.  Use of pollen substitutes is even worse, if you want an SHB problem that's a good way to start one.  It is better to feed patties sparingly, in small pieces, and often with breaks in between to lessen SHB infestation.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 10:09:36 am »
poka-bee
you know yellow jackets live in the ground, right?   paper wasps build the small nests under your eaves.  see my post in "pests" on how to build a YJ trap with apple juice or beer.  I caught over 400!!!   I have no problems now.

Stephen, unbelievable!!!  I have learned something new today.  I have always referred to these paperwasps as yellowjackets.  Absolutely and absolutely wrong.  I will now call them paperwasps, because I am informed, thanks to your post.  These paperwasps are the ones that I work hard to eliminate around my property, they do do damage to the honeybees, and they pack a powerful sting.  When I am working the colonies in late summer, they are a nuisance to me too, I usually grab them really quickly between my thumb and first finger and snap my fingers, they fling apart long before they can even think to sting.  Anyways, I love to learn and you have enlightened my day. 

I do see the yellowjacket all the time too, they are entirely different than the paperwasps, and have a much smaller body than the paperwasps.  It is the paperwasps that cause harm to my bees, I have never seen the yellowjackets bothering them, ever.  I have always called the yellowjacket wasps, "wasps" with no other description, but "now I know", yeah!!!!!  Have a most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

Identical picture below at Wikipedia, to my picture of the paperwasp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_wasp

The yellowjacket from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_jacket

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mat

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 11:08:39 am »
When you feed a patty do they store it also?
mat

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 10:46:48 am »
Annette, I purchase irradiated pollen from my bee instructor, he runs 1200 colonies and gathers lots of pollen.  I have not yet to gather pollen from my colonies, but that is my intention for next year.

Mat, now that is a really good question.  Whether the bees store the pollen patty, no clue, I would love to hear that answer though, perhaps it will come.  Have the most wonderful and awesome of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 01:45:05 pm »
Thanks Cindi for the info. Fortunately, I found many frames of pollen I had stored away and had forgotten about. I will now feed these frames back to the bees by next week.

Take care
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 10:03:20 am »
Annette, more clearly define about the pollen frames.  The reason that I say this is that pollen loses its nutritional value after about one years time.  That is even if it is stored in the freezer.  If these frames were not frozen, or even refrigerated, the nutritional value would not be very high.  Google this to have what I am saying corroborated, it is important that the bees have nutritional pollen.  I am pretty sure this has also been discussed in our forum too, but to try and find that thread might be an enormous task.  Have a most wonderful and awesomely great day, Cindi

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 10:38:10 pm »
These pollen frames were removed from my laying worker hive that died out in beginning of July and my other hive that got hit by wax moths end of July (I had to bring them down from 6 supers to 3 supers to control the wax moths). I froze these frames for a few weeks time. So they are still fresh and good to use I guess. They are so full of pollen and very heavy to lift. I would hate to waste these frames especially I can see my hives really need them.

What do you think?? Only about 2 months time.

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:32 pm »

Pollen patties:
For a small batch-
2 cups of pollen
add just enough water to cover the pollen 1/4" and let the pollen absorb the water overnight.
add granulated sugar to the pollen and stir until it becomes the consistency of bread dough.
Place a scoop of the mix, I used an ice cream scoop, onto waxed paper, place a second piece of wax paper on top and flatten out to about 1/2"
The best sugar syrup is like a type 50 syrup for feeding bees because does not dry out as fast as the above mix.
Place any extra patties in the freezer.

Good luck.
Ernie Lucas Apiaries
(Queen Breeder)
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 12:30:10 pm »
poka-bee

you know yellow jackets live in the ground, right?   paper wasps build the small nests under your eaves.  see my post in "pests" on how to build a YJ trap with apple juice or beer.  I caught over 400!!!   I have no problems now.

One way to spend a lazy afternoon is to set up a community feeder and then wait for the wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets to arrive.  I sometimes spend hours squishing them with my cane tip.  Great way to work off your frustrations and aggrivations.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 04:54:36 pm »

Pollen patties:
For a small batch-
2 cups of pollen
add just enough water to cover the pollen 1/4" and let the pollen absorb the water overnight.
add granulated sugar to the pollen and stir until it becomes the consistency of bread dough.
Place a scoop of the mix, I used an ice cream scoop, onto waxed paper, place a second piece of wax paper on top and flatten out to about 1/2"
The best sugar syrup is like a type 50 syrup for feeding bees because does not dry out as fast as the above mix.
Place any extra patties in the freezer.

Good luck.
Ernie Lucas Apiaries
(Queen Breeder)

Thanks for the recips. Sounds great.
Annette

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:14 pm »
Was Matt's question ever anwered?  I just received my PP in the mail.  Do they store it?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 10:37:30 pm »

I just received my PP in the mail.  Do they store it?
I do not know what kind of pollen patties you odered? But, they do not store them. They have to be within 2" of the brood nest for good consumption. I have some on the top bars of a double brood boxes with a 3/4" rim and for some others I place the pattie between the brood boxes/brood chambers.
Currently I am feeding Mann Lakes 15% pollen patties + one gallon syrup pails on the cover with a 1.5" hole cut out with a hole saw. Most of the hives have been on "feed lot" feeding for 8 weeks and they have consumed 6-8 patties per hive! We will feed them fumagillin syrup in about 4-6 weeks. You want the fumagillin readily available to the bees and not covered up with syrup from later feedings. In other words fed them for winter weight 1st. Research has proved that fumagillin is better fed in the fall than the spring to keep your spore counts down.
good Luck
Regards,
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 09:26:28 am »
Wow.  2 inches from the brood!!   I did not know that.  Thus my OB hive is not interested in it for just that reason.  So I have to open it again and reposition the patty on top of each frame!!!  I have Mann Lake too, but only 4%, I did not see 15% when I was buying!!
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 12:07:34 pm »
Stephen, Matt's question has not been answered, unless I have been missing something.

I'll ask the question again, let's see if we can keep on track and get the answer, I want to know too.

Do bees store pollen patty in the comb?

I would think personally that they don't store it, but consume it and leave any pollen stores that they may already have in the cell, but the question needs further answers, and definition.

Bees4U, that was a great summary of how to make pollen patties, with only pollen, sugar and water, thank you.

I am a hands on person.  Instead of stirring this stuff with a spoon, I would just love to get my hands in there and squish it all up, and oh yes, the scent of pollen is a thing of beauty.....

The pollen patty DOES need to be as close to the brood as is possibly feasible.  That way the nurse bees can just go grap a hunk of pollen food and do their thing without having to travel too far.  It is is too far away, they don't really know it is there, hee, hee.  They are so focused on working in the brood area that they don't have time to travel to that store.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, love our groovin' life we all live and share.  Cindi

anything