Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1 hive - no population growth.  (Read 3458 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
1 hive - no population growth.
« on: July 07, 2007, 12:37:31 am »
One of my hives is not growing in population.  This along with several other hives did swarm this past spring. The other hives are doing good.  This particular hive still has yet to start drawing comb on the first super...there's just the brood box and a super with foundation.   After the swarm in March I notice no increase in #s of bees for a month or longer - I gave it until May then I requeened the hive after an inspection that showed no queen at all.  I re-queened with a Russian about mid May.  Yesterday I inspected the hive for the third time in 2 mons to verify the Russian was still there----she was and she was laying eggs.

There's pollen stores  - drone brood - honey capped - brood and more bees than I thought ( all frames are covered in bees ) but the hive is just at a stand still - no progress at all.  They just don't seem to want to move up to the 1st super. It seems to be holding it's own but I doubt it'll make through a winter like this.  One other thing this hive has all brown comb in it.  What would be some of the reasons for a hive to act like this....all other hives around it are doing good.  Thanks....

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: 1 hive - no population growth.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:54:56 am »
Hmm, Steve, you just might have to let them work at their own pace, or offer feed and pollen patties. I have started using hbh, cause I've heard lots of good things about it, but too soon to give results. As long as the hive looks healthy, and the queen is laying, I wouldn't worry too much. The comb could be brown from lots of traffic, it tends to change in color from white to yellow to brown to black with usage and age.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:16:18 am »
sounds just like one of mine.  don't think mine swarmed, and i didn't requeen, but other than that....

i have been feeding syrup and pollen patties to this hive.  it seems better, but still way behind the other two.  the queen is laying in a good pattern, but they just don't seem to be building up.

i know that's not an answer for you, but at least you are not alone in this problem.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 12:53:45 am »
Ditto!  One of my three new ones is really starting to stay in a holding pattern.  Of the other two one exploded right away and the other was like the current not building until I added a frame with starter strip and some syrup.  They slowly built and now are going strong.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 03:53:39 am »
this happens to more people than you think but here it goes, a lot of times when a hive swarms, the new queen doesn't get mated right or something might be wrong with her and she doesn't lay well, so a month or more has passed and the bee's raise another queen, by this time the beekeeper has ordered a queen when he seen the hive wasn't doing well and when he installs the bought queen the bee's sometimes kill her and when they dont and she is excepted, the hive is in a dearth. when bee's are in a dearth they want build comb and a lot of queens will shut down laying,

now Im not saying that is the case with you all but it happens a lot. it can be so many things that effects a hive.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:16:52 am »
One of my hives has some very dark almost black comb. Did I not read a thread not long ago where old dirty frames need to be swapped out and replaced from time to time?  Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 11:23:17 am »
One of my hives has some very dark almost black comb. Did I not read a thread not long ago where old dirty frames need to be swapped out and replaced from time to time?  Steve
You do not need to swap out dark comb.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »
When Keith Delaplane spoke at a recent Metro Beekeepers meeting, he said that replacing old comb regularly will help stop the disease issues in the hive.  One of his key issues is that decline of beehives is due to a conglomeration of features - one of which is overuse of comb.

Here's a summary of what he said:
http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/05/dr-keith-delaplane-speaks-to-bee-club.html

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:33:04 pm »
 I read the blog on Keith Delaplane Linda. He is really into feeding the bees syrup for the fall. I thought feeding was not a good idea, as long as there was enough honey to get them through the winter. Last fall my bees had enough honey and I did not feed them at all. They came through the winter really strong and eventually swarmed on me.

I am a bit confused as what I need to do for the bees this fall. My gut feeling tells me not to do anything as long as the hive has honey.

What are the feelings of the members here. I know this is off the topic.

Annette

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 01:38:54 pm »
i think the idea is to feed in the fall to make sure your honey stores are as full as they can be for winter.  where he lives, they don't really have a winter, but they probably have a winter dearth.  where you live and where i live, we have real winter and need stores in to get them through.  around sept. i will feed until they are full up.  i will also treat for mites.  around February or the first warm spell, i'll probably feed again.  then i'll leave syrup on in the spring until i am sure there is a good flow. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 03:34:58 pm »
Nothing wrong with feeding sugar syrup, anytime they need food stores.
(Pure cane granulated white) no other sugar.
doak

anything