Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding Queen to a split  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Rogan

• New Bee
Adding Queen to a split
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:06:10 am »
Pardon me if this has already been posted before.  I plan to split two hives and will be purchasing 2 new queens for those splits which are queenless.  No, I don't plan to wait for them to raise a new queen for various reasons.  I understand the split needs to be queenless for at least 24 hours before introducing the new queens.  My problem (not sure if it really is a problem) is that my queens arrive Thursday.  I can only do the split Sunday.  Is that time to wait too long?  I realize I will need to check for queen cells and destroy them before the queen cage is introduced, but I wasn't sure if I didn't have "fresh" brood, if that would be a problem.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Adding Queen to a split
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:16:45 pm »
If the colony is queenless 5 days, it caps the emergency cells. Then they accept very easily a new queen.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:13:01 am »
No problem. But the colony does not have to be queenless for 24hrs. It is just a good practice.

Let me give you a similar example: I want to split a colony. I can not find the queen. I split it and in three days come back and do an inspection. The half with the new eggs has the queen. I take the other half and destroy any queen cells that may be started and re-queen that half. Not the same but a similar example.
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:43:40 pm »
Overnight is best,  That can be significantly less than 24 hours... 2 hours will do.

You can keep queens for a week or two by just giving them a drop of water a day and keeping them in a quiet dark place.  As long as the attendants are doing fine, the queen is probably fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything