Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning queen excluders  (Read 3005 times)

Offline bernie

• New Bee
Cleaning queen excluders
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:47:07 pm »
What is the easiest way to clean burr comb and propolis from queen excluders?  As a novice (first year) beekeeper, I have split hives, combined hives, requeened, dealt with laying workers, worked with a swarm, was forced to take some surplus honey, and all the other general beekeeper things.  However, cleaning these @#$%^&&**!! queen excluders has been my most daunting task.  Help.  Thanks.

Offline MarkW

• New Bee
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:21:03 pm »
I just use my hive tool at inspection time. I use the plastic ones they don’t seem to get it to bad  :!:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 03:26:09 pm »
Easiest way it to throw them in a solar metal.  But if you don't have one,  a propane torch works well after you scrap them.

Assuming your talking about metal excluders and not plastic. :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:41:47 pm »
How about freezing?  When I froze my wood frames during a SHB bout I dropped one of the frames and a bunch of comb and propolis fell off.

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 06:18:03 pm »
I agree, freezing propolis makes it crumble.  I have some hives that are really propolizing everything and froze some inner covers to get the propolis off.  seems to work great.

Offline bernie

• New Bee
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 10:04:24 am »
Thank you all very much.  The torch worked great on the metal ones and freezing worked great on the plastic ones.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 02:46:40 pm »
I just don't put the excluders in the hives and they stay very clean.  ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Cleaning queen excluders
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 03:45:33 pm »
Queen excluders make very good draining platforms for holding the frames prior to extracting.  That's one of about 3 things they are good for.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!