Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: painting boxes  (Read 6438 times)

Offline chickenwing654

• House Bee
painting boxes
« on: January 09, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »
Hi,

Do you paint the hive boxes just  for preserving the wood?   Would any outdoor latex paint work, or is there any paint that would be toxic to the bees?

thanks for any replies in advance.

David

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: painting boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:53:10 pm »
I just use an outdoor latex that I have on hand. I stack the supers up and paint them all at once.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:44:28 pm »
Any exterior latex or oil paint will do fine. Oil needs to sit for a few days to cure.
When stacking for painting, I put popsicle sticks or similar between them to keep them from sticking together.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:21:48 am »
Do you paint around the top and bottom edges?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 06:23:14 am »

I do.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 07:20:28 am »
Half-a**. I don't purposely, but am a poor painter and get the edges about half painted with careless strokes. My opinion on painted edges is, it doesn't matter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:05 am »
No, I am trying to keep them from sticking. That is why I stack them and then paint them.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:20:28 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »
Chicken,
Some of the best advise I received on this site was to go to the paint store and get returned outdoor paint for my boxes and wooden ware.  Color doesn't really matter (it seems).  I use beige and white so far.  I paid $3 per gallon at Sherman Williams for outdoor latex. 
I paint everything except the interior.  Popsicle spacers are a good idea.
Others on this site recommend stain and some kind of wax dip.  At $3 per gallon I am content with paint.  I do like the stained appearance though.
The purpose is to protect the wood so it will not rot.  It's not rocket science.
Enjoy your bees.
Joe

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 06:22:00 pm »
I stack my boxes with toothpicks as spacers. After they dry my grandbabies come over and hand paint flower or other plants (they say it will help the bees know which box is theirs)  :happy:  I do not worry about a little paint getting on the top or bottoms as long as I can get it flat.  I use all light colors, so the kids have a nice background.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:49 pm »
I've been using roof paint. I found several buckets in a council hard rubbish collection. It is an ugly brown, so I am doing a couple of coats and then painting over with nicer colours. So far so good.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:36 pm »
I'm old school & I prefer oil base paint. as joe mentioned you can go to paint stores & ask for mistints. I just bought a gallon of Sherwin Williams 'duration' ( $70.00 per gallon ) for $3.00. even if I use an exterior latex paint (depending on what they have available in mistints ) I still use an oil base primer & paint the edges with that. don't paint the edges with latex. the boxes  will stick together. Sherwin Williams also runs several 30 & 40% off sales throughout the year. that's a good time to pick up primer.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
My boxes stick together if I use them too soon after painting. Does that mean it could be a latex paint that I've been using? I really don't know much about paint.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 08:06:26 pm »
exterior latex never seems to completely harden so yes it will cause the boxes to stick together. primer is not supposed to be exposed to the weather but since the boxes are stacked the edges will be fine with oil base primer only & is definitely better than no paint at all.
I still prefer oil base for priming & the finish coat but if they only have latex mistints when I need paint it's hard to pass up  $3.00 per gallon for top of the line paint.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 08:12:17 pm »
I have even repainted boxes on a cool day with the bees in them.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »
hehe..   Lots of opinions..  Figured I would add mine on painting...

Oil base? If you can afford it, go for it!
   The best latex money can buy? Sure!!!
   just be prepared to buy moire so you can touch up the corners where you jam your hive tool..
   When you shove the hive tool into the corners to pop the boxes apart, you chip mthe paint, and thats where it will start to rot, NO MATTER what paint you use. It doesnt matter if its 120 dollars a gallon, or 3 dollars a gallon, it is the CORNER that will rot first, unless your going to go out and touch them up after each inspection?
   I do feel that the boxes need paint. I know some that refuse to paint their woodenware..   I also understand their philosophy..   It costs me about 5 dollars to build a medium box. ( I use all mediums) So, for 5 dollars, I can replace that box quickly and cheaply..     Paint? With it, they seem to last four or five years. Without it?  Often, it is warpage of unpainted wood that causes the failure, rather than rotting corners. I have unpainted boxes that warped out of shape in their first year..  Might be my UN quality craftsmanship, but the painted ones are still going strong, so I doubt it!
   In the end, a box is an item that is perishable. It has a shelf life. Paint it with CHEAP paint, make it last four or five years, and build another 5 dollar box to replace it when it gets soft in the corners.   JMHO
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 12:10:22 am »
I have used latex paint that I have had around the house.    I have also repainted some 30 year old boxes I got from a distant cousin.    I have just used the ECO wood treatment and plan to put them out this spring.    I like the look better but unsure if it will live it to its claims but Kelly bees sell it.    I saw theirs at their manufacturing plant in Kentucky and liked the way the looked.   I also used screws instead of nails to help the frames out. 
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:37 pm »
Latex on the top and bottom edges will make them stick together in a process known as "blocking" (Google it) so I use oil based paint on the edges. As mentioned mis tinted paints are cheap at the hardware.Currently I have white (latex) boxes with Lime Green edges  :cool:
David L

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:43 pm »
I need to find a better paint store, the big boxes in Houston were all requiring full price for mistints when i checked.

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
"I need to find a better paint store, the big boxes in Houston were all requiring full price for mistints when i checked."
The Home Depot and Lowes near me have a shelf with "oops" paint cans for cheap, that has been my source. Also ACE hardware.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 01:17:35 am »
I need to find a better paint store, the big boxes in Houston were all requiring full price for mistints when i checked.

What a bunch of thieves.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »
If you have trouble with top and bottom edges sticking together with latex paint give them a rub with some bees wax, problem solved :grin: no need to use oil based paint on the edges if you don't want to.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:20 pm »
If you have trouble with top and bottom edges sticking together with latex paint give them a rub with some bees wax, problem solved :grin: no need to use oil based paint on the edges if you don't want to.

Now, where would we get beeswax??     heheh  NICE idea right there!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Love Shack Farm

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 01:29:06 pm »
I get my paint from the local county transfer stations.  Most have a hazardous materials drop-off area.  Citizens bring paint and other materials they should not throw out in the regular trash.  There is usually a wide variety of colors, although not a large amount of exterior latex paint but I have been lucky a few times and scored 1 & 5 gal buckets of good paint.  Best of all its free and works just fine.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 03:38:24 pm »
I get my paint from the local county transfer stations.  Most have a hazardous materials drop-off area.  Citizens bring paint and other materials they should not throw out in the regular trash.  There is usually a wide variety of colors, although not a large amount of exterior latex paint but I have been lucky a few times and scored 1 & 5 gal buckets of good paint.  Best of all its free and works just fine.

GOOD POST!  And welcome to the forum.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944