Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive absconded  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
Hive absconded
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:50:25 am »
So, one of my hives absconded.  Left in the hive were 2.5 newly drawn frames (they started out foundationless), eggs (so the queen was there 3 days ago), brood of all ages, and about 30 workers along with some nectar. 

We are on a canola flow right now and I can not figure out why the hive took off.  They were established from a package this spring (late May), requeened about two weeks ago (all looked well with that) and were not bothered by pests (that I could tell).  There were 3-3.5 frames of bees, 2 frames of brood and some stored nectar/pollen/honey at last check about 10 days ago.  It looks like they waited for the bulk of the brood to hatch and then took off. 

Any ideas as to why?  I would like to learn if there is something that I missed or did wrong so that I can do more to prevent this in the future.

Thanks

Mike

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Hive absconded
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:56 pm »
Very strange. No dead bees? Just an empty hive with brood and eggs?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:57:41 pm »
that is correct - no dead bees.  The whole box looked perfectly normal with eggs/brood/some nectar - just no queen or cluster.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:41 pm »
No further questions from me. We will have to wait for the more experience experts to respond.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 03:23:25 pm »
can you stick the brood in another hive and at least save that?  sometimes it happens and there is no reason found.  they just take off.  i had a hive do that this earlier this year, but they were kind of puny.  i requeened them and they left.  no reason that i could find.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 06:48:40 pm »
Kathy,

That is EXACTLY what happened in my case as well.  They certainly weren't the strongest hive, but I requeened them about 10 days ago and, now, gone.

I did take the brood and put it in another hive.  I don't know if I got to it in time though, although my understanding is that once the brood is capped - it does not require bees covering it anymore.  Is this correct?

Mike
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:14:58 pm by Tyro »

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:13 am »

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:06 am »
good article - I would classify my event then (according to the article) as a 'disturbance' induced absconding event, as brood was left behind.  I hadn't been into them since 2 July (when I checked to see if the queen had been successfully introduced), so I don't think it was my disturbing them - maybe ants?

Oh well - the hive has been baited with Lemongrass oil - maybe I will get lucky and get them replaced!

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »
  Why did you re-queen? Not sure I see the reason for that. Every swarm I've lost that way was due to me poking my nose in the hive too often. I now give them at least a month before I open the box.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:08:57 pm »
i'm not sure to whom that question is directed.

Why did you re-queen?

in my case, it was not a swarm.  it was just a hive that was not doing as well as it should have been.  it was requeen or combine. i had a queen and it was early enough for them to build up, so i requeened. a couple of days later, they were gone.

i do not give swarms a month.  i give them at least a week, sometimes two, but you need to know that you have a laying queen in there.  if you wait a month and you don't have a good queen, you are apt to have a hive drifted away, or laying workers.  i do agree that they need to be left alone long enough for them to get a good start on comb building and hopefully for the queen to have done her thing for a few days.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.