Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Banking a caged queen  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
Banking a caged queen
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:03:19 am »
Can I bank a caged queen with attendants in a hive that is queenright? I have a caged queen that I am trying to keep alive but I don't have enough bees and brood to make up a nuc.

Will the bees take care of her or will they try to ball her in the cage?

Thanks.
Tim

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Banking a caged queen
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:13:16 am »
I understand that with the proper use of a queen excluder it can be done. I also understand that you want to move some open brood above the excluder and feed. The brood entices nurse bees above the excluder and syrup provides resources.
Learned from reading no experience yet. If I'm wrong I'm sure others will correct. Good luck. BTW: how long do you plan to bank her? I just kept 2 queens banked for 8 days in there cages by using a small ventilated cardboard box. I added about a cup of bees, a honey ball and a wet sponge. Everyone survived just fine.
Later,
Ray

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:54:20 am »
You must have a small nuc.
At leat I have not heard that queens can be banked after mating.

. Workers must get out for cleansing.
Bees need pollen and drinking water.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:33:29 am »
Would be better to bank her in a queen less nuc IMHO.  Be better if you could use her right away because the longer you bank them the shorter the life span. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
How long do you need to bank her?  For a week or so you can just give the cage (with attendants and candy) a drop of water a day.  If you need to keep them a few weeks, you can just put the cage in a box with some air holes and add new bees from time to time.  If you need to keep them a few months, just set up a nuc with a frame of brood and a frame of honey and introduce the queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:11:06 pm »
Thanks Michael I may try the box with holes. I don't have enough brood in my only survivor hive to steal any for a nuc (which was my original plan.) I wanted to keep her alive in case anyone in our Association comes up queenless when hiving packages or first inspections. I have her in a paper bag in the queen cage with attendance since April 21st and they're getting pretty stressed.
Tim

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Later,
Ray

anything