Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems In Winter Beekeeping  (Read 911 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Problems In Winter Beekeeping
« on: December 24, 2022, 11:30:07 am »
What are some of the problems you have encountered in your winter beekeeping experiences and how do you, or did you, fix the same?
Examples: Dead outs, Skunks, Hungry Bear, Low Stores, Moisture, Knocked over Hives  etc...

Phillip   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Problems In Winter Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 11:39:43 am »
Both moisture and ice can be a problem here.  I found that a few lbs of dry sugar on the inner cover not only absorbed a lot of the moisture but doubled as emergency food.

For both snow and ice I use a piece of plywood at an angle to keep the entrance open.  An A-frame kind of thing.  The ice is bad because it seals everything up and takes much longer to melt off than just snow.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Re: Problems In Winter Beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 06:35:54 pm »
All right I?m
In south Florida and my bees fly year round except for today. 30 degrees hit us and I saw not one bee come out of the box. Two more days of sub 50 weather May keep these girls inside.
I was gonna ask what a pop up cold spell does to bees that enjoy this southern Florida weather all year round?
Hopefully they are in there keeping warm
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me