Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's not "Long live the queen". It's more like how long can the queen live?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Stone

• House Bee
In error, I was shipped two queens earlier than I had needed them.  The supplier - a very reputable one - said, it's okay, you can give them to some other beekeeper. There will be no charge for these. So I'm scratching my head about how long they will live until I find someone who'll need them or until I can make use of them myself.

I won't be able to get to my hives until Saturday and these two queens have been in their cages since shipment last Thursday - a week to date.  One queen has only one surviving attendant.  The other queen has all four.  I've been feeding them honey and pollen all the while.

My other question is this: Even if they do survive, will they be too weakened or stressed to perform or even be accepted?  I intended to re-queen three of my colonies anyway but it would be terrible if I removed the queens from two of my healthy colonies now only to find the new queens not accepted.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Make splits from you existing colonies and use them there.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Stone

• House Bee
Hardwood,

I've been seriously considering that, but my colonies weren't quite ready for it when I was there last Saturday.  They came limping out of the winter and I wanted them to get stronger first.  The weather here has been awful.  April was a complete washout.  It's been unseasonably cold and I think we've only had 3 days this month that hasn't rained. I haven't even gotten the local nucs I ordered for this reason.  Everything is late by one month.

But my original questions still stand.  Is it too late and are they "damaged goods"?  Thanks.