Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buckwheat/Sweet Clover plot  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
Buckwheat/Sweet Clover plot
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:25:19 am »
I've already sprayed the plot (only an acre) and this week hopefully I'll get the seed planted.  Its off to one side of my yard and in front of the bee hives (5).
I'm thinking I'll plant the Yellow Sweet Clover with the Buckwheat (BW).  The BW can serve as a cover crop and provide some nectar this fall while the clover puts down some roots.  Then hopefully next year the clover will come on while the BW has died down.  We've been getting plenty of rain here in KY lately, so hopefully that will keep up.  What do you think?
I also planted 5 tulip poplar trees in the yard last weekend.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Buckwheat/Sweet Clover plot
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »
can't speak to your planting plan, but i do know that the bees love the buckwheat.  makes a wonderful dark honey.  my favorite.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »
I planted buckwheat in a spot as a cover crop last year and I've plowed it under three times and it keeps comming back. The bees like it but it is just like a weed in my garden.
The honey taste alot like molasses to me.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:39:36 pm »
The honey taste alot like molasses to me.

it does.  that's why i like it :-)  around here, it's a popular honey.  sells well for top price.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »
I don't mind if the buckwheat keeps coming back in the places I'm putting it.  I do have a garden that I was considering cover cropping with it, but maybe I wont now as I have enough weeds without fighting BW.
I just hope that 1 acre will help as its been a very slow production year so far for my bees.  I also plan to frost seed my lawn (another acre) with white clover come Feb/March.

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »
BW is a hit or miss with bees from yr to year. Some, they'll work it well, other years not at all. But it is a delicious honey i agree. As a cover crop it is choking weeds very well as it grows quick; it may smother your yellow clover. As a weed itself - true, it re-seed easily and regrow and regrow - it is very easy to take care of, hoe so easily i wish i had only that as weeds!!! ;)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:46:09 pm »
I have never seen my bees working the buckwheat plots that Ive planted. Mornings or afternoons. Last fall, I planted some sweet yellow clover in my buckwheat plot and they have worked the clover over like crazy. Maybe its the type of BW Im using, but my bees ignore the stuff completely.

Offline darockered

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:01:22 pm »
Yes, the sweet clover takes a year to get established.  I've found that the first year is spotty, the second year flourishes, then the third year is hit or miss.  Your bees will love it.  (You'll like the smell too).  The buckwheat is also a fantastic cover and easy to get rid of when you want to switch it out. 

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:10:24 am »
So should I be planting buckwheat now?  Im in North Texas and we have not had rain in forever, so im not sure if I would get anything.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 11:25:28 pm »
We plant BW every year for the deer and the bees and have yet to see many bees working it. It dies when we get the first heavy frost. The yellow sweet clover is a good choice. The BW as a cover crop should also work well to help with weed control as the clover gets established. In MD it would be planted the fist of Aug. for fall planting.

anything