Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello! Introducing myself  (Read 3058 times)

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
  • Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello! Introducing myself
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »
hi all!

i'm new to the beeforums and am completely new to the world of bees...my wife and i want to have "backyard" bees
I've been reading and reading some great stuff on the net and it has eventually led me here! 

we have two young kids, two dogs (labs), 4 chickens, and a cat...we live in a nice neighborhood in Missoula, MT on a little over 1/3 acre of land (lots of back yard space!!!!  anyways, i want to get started and i'm hoping this place will help in that regard. 

thanks!

Rod
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: Hello! Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:50:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of info here on every aspect of beekeeping.  Enjoy your girls.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
Very nice area you live in Rod.   Back in the late 70 and early 80s I vacationed out there every year.   We trout fished in the swan river valley.  Great fishing and really fun hot spring swimming

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »
Very nice area you live in Rod.   Back in the late 70 and early 80s I vacationed out there every year.   We trout fished in the swan river valley.  Great fishing and really fun hot spring swimming

we're pretty darn fortunate to live here....i'm a fifth generation montanan and grew up in whitefish. 

"oh i'll never leave Montana, brother."  ;) 

that said, i'm very clueless about all this bee stuff.  i'm online looking at "starter/beginner kits" 

once i get that set up i order bees and dump em in there?  how do i start colonizing? 

p.s. i just bought beekeeping for dummies...as used second hand copy for 5 bucks....not a bad start and i'm gonna need all the resources i can handle. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:19 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a useful source of information about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page (click on 'Backyard Beekeeping Course' and scroll down). Another site that I highly recommend belongs to Michael Bush:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Also, be sure to get connected with local beekeepers. Start making some contacts:
http://agr.mt.gov/crops/Bees/Apiary.asp

Good Luck!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »
you may want to skip the starter kit.  they have some stuff you probably don't need and other stuff that you do need, won't be in there.   when you are ready to order, either do a search on here for other starter kit topics, or repost and we can help you out.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 12:23:02 am »
Rod, welcome to our forum, wonderful that your search lead you here.  The more that you learn about the secret life of the honeybee, the more you will want to learn.  Once you get your bees, you will find that will become held deeply under their spell, they have that way about them.  I would dare to venture to say that we here are all held under that spell too.  Stick around, we love new members, we can be your help when you need it.  Do lots of studying, that day will come when those little critters will be a'flyin' all over your yard.  Have that wonderful, most awesome day, life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52:01 pm »
thanks to all for the warm welcome

sorry i've not been on in a long while but i've been busy with just life in general.  i still plan to get bees but our city ordinance doesn't allow them to be kept in the backyard.....thanks indypartridge for the .gov link it looks to be most helpful!!!!!!

anyways, i'll be on here more next year when i get my girls :)  i'm planning on holding off for financial reasons and i do need to study more. i've read Beekeeping for dummies...i must say it wasn't a bad read at all and seemed to be pretty consistent with the literature i've found on the web.

THANKS! 

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:25:12 pm »
i still plan to get bees but our city ordinance doesn't allow them to be kept in the backyard.....

That's strange Rod... they allow you to keep chickens but not the honeybee?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:33:22 pm »
Beekeeper Programs
http://agr.mt.gov/crops/beekeepers.asp

Apiary Program, hive registration form and more
http://agr.mt.gov/crops/Bees/Apiary.asp

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:08:34 pm »
COOL!!  I am in the Bitterroot Valley, about an hour south of you hehe!  Been doing some research around here.  Will you be attending the class in Kalispell on April 24th by chance?